• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running Hot / Warning Light

schroon

Pro
Website
www.pacific-custom.com
I was riding in ice to hard packed snow on the trails before they got groomed a few times and had the warning light come on in the Vecter and Apex. Never had this problem with the SRX's. Is there a safety margin when this light comes on? Also I think I am going to put the rear heat exchanger on both sleds. Does anyone have a Yamaha part number and will the same one fit both sleds? Is Yamahas the best or does someone else make a better one? Also any othe suggestions to try and cure this.

I've rode 70 miles or so with the light on & the engine didn't shut off!

The easiest thing to do if you don't want the light on in those conditions is stop every 15-20 miles & put snow on your running boards & the lights will go off!

There is a safety shutdown on them if they get too hot, they will shut off!

Good Luck!

BR

I rode in Mercer Saturday morning, and the same thing happened to me. I had to stop to read the map anyway, and when I stopped, I put snow under the running boards very briefly, and the light wen toff as soon as I started to ride again. The rear heat exchanger is definately a must. I haven't had it come on before, but for the few times it does, the exchanger would make it worth it.
Nate

PACK THE RUNNING BOARDS WITH SNOW

If you pack your running boards with snow, the sled will not overheat. I rode hard in 54 degree weather last Saturday with no problems. The snow melts off the running boards onto the heat exchangers. I repacked the running boards every half hour. I have ridden in warm whether many times doing this. ;)! The only issue is your hyfax may take a beating. However, since it was my last ride of the year, I did not care.

Check your coolant ratio and add the rear cooler and you will cure the overheat problem.

You should have your coolant at a 50/50 mixture, factory sometimes are as high as 100% coolant!
once you correct you will run a lot cooler.

Even after fixing the coolant mix. There wont be that much of an improvement. The cost of the cooler and the benefit is much woth it.

Coldone,
I might be wrong but I think the "auto shut off " is only at idle after three min. if an overheat condition happens. If I am right you might not like the run it until it melts syndrom.

i've noticed that these apex's do not like the warm weather at all, my always over heats if it gets past 35*f if idles to long, even after changing the anti-freeze to 50/50 and water wetter

I had the same problem with my Attak. I made these things that I call Snow Kickers. They channel snow to your slides and under your foot boards. They help lub your slides and cool your sled at the same time.
At this time they only fit stock skis but I am working on the aftermarket ones. The Snow Kickers are made from 6061 Alum. and are CNC machined.They are spring loaded so they always make contact to the snow in the trails that you are ridding in. I made them so you can also adust the hight on them so if your in groomed trails or on ice you can be lubed and cooled. I will sell you a set for $65.00 if you are interested. Just email me @ tetriance7@yahoo.com put in the words Snow Kickers so I know you are from this site. I rode the other day in 45 deg weather all day and had no ptoblems at all. These thing work Great. :Rockon: :-o

Back