• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running out of fuel at WOT

smallheadz

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
05 RX1
UPDATE see page 3

I was in the U P the last few days and put 500 miles on the rx. On the third day I hit a pretty large spine tingler and ever since on a longer speed (WOT) run 1/4 mile plus the sled would act like it's running out of fuel. If I brought the sled to a stop and let it idle for a few it would pick up fuel and run perfect again. It would never die just lose rpm's and speed, missing. If I kept the rpm's under 7k or so it was fine the whole time . I could do short WOT bursts 5 seconds or so with no problems. Before hitting the hole I could hold it at WOT with no issues. Fuel pumps seem to be working ok, doesn't act like tors but I didn't even think to bypass and try before I loaded it on the trailer. Fuel level did not make a difference, outside temp didn't make a difference (2-30). Tank filters are new
I haven't checked anything yet as I just got back today and it will be a day or two before I can get it back into the garage to look at.
I will probably pull carbs and go thru , check all the boots, vac lines, spark plugs
Sled is bone stock
Anyone ever have an issue like this?

Last edited:

could be a split in the line in the tank. seen that do funny things before.

My truck would do this,finally I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and the sock was full of dirt.....so maybe it's sock in tank dirty?

also have you looked at your ignition coils? I was having some trouble at WOT and finally all the time

The spring that holds the coil to the spark plug was worn, it made grooves in the spark plug terminal and would not hold tight

Found out here that this is a common problem.

Might be what is happening to you especially after hitting a large bump. Might have knocked one of them loose but it will look normal until you try pulling the coil off the plug, you will see that its not grabbing tight on the plug terminal

Worth a look anyway. I ended up changing all 4 of mine

All of these are good ideas and I will check them all. . Sled will be in garage today so I will start on it. Have a trip next month .
Pickup lines in tank and filters are new, but I will still check them. The correct submersible line was used.
Coils were on my list as I know they had problems with the early ones and makes the most sense after a bump. I will keep everyone posted if I find the fix.
Also I was only getting about 9200 when it was running correct, I thought it would be up around the 10k range too. I have heavy hitters I can put on but I wanted to start stock and get everything dialed in first.

Keep the ideas coming , anyone have an Apex seat to get rid of?

All of these are good ideas and I will check them all. . Sled will be in garage today so I will start on it. Have a trip next month .
Pickup lines in tank and filters are new, but I will still check them. The correct submersible line was used.
Coils were on my list as I know they had problems with the early ones and makes the most sense after a bump. I will keep everyone posted if I find the fix.
Also I was only getting about 9200 when it was running correct, I thought it would be up around the 10k range too. I have heavy hitters I can put on but I wanted to start stock and get everything dialed in first.

Keep the ideas coming , anyone have an Apex seat to get rid of?

Should rev 10,200 ish.
Pick up in tank may have moved or blocked sock or filter it sounds like to me.

Just looked at pickup lines and filters are fine.
Pulled the coils and plugs. 2 outside plugs (both ends) look fine with light tan the 2 inside cylinders are rich , not eye burning rich but fairly black. Have to ohm the coils next. May get a set of R1 coils off of ebay just because. The 2 inside coils are the sort of loose on the plug. Not as tight as the other 2 but still tight.
All carbs were gone thru with new pilots and new mains, then syncrod them.

Just looked at pickup lines and filters are fine.
Pulled the coils and plugs. 2 outside plugs (both ends) look fine with light tan the 2 inside cylinders are rich , not eye burning rich but fairly black. Have to ohm the coils next. May get a set of R1 coils off of ebay just because. The 2 inside coils are the sort of loose on the plug. Not as tight as the other 2 but still tight.
All carbs were gone thru with new pilots and new mains, then syncrod them.
Beware of some aftermarket coils, I installed some on a 03 R-1 bike and they were erratic when hot. Had to put stock ones back on.

RX 1's like to run rich. Not lean like a 2 stroke.
Make more power on regular gas as well but maybe not the new corn gas.

Another possibility is carb floats could have got knocked out of wack on impact. I know that's a pain to check.

look close at the threaded end of the spark plug. Mine had 2 grooves worn in them from the coils spring being loose. This is a common problem, when I searched here I saw others that had the same exact wear on the plug terminal

I got my from RMStator. They have a one year warranty, the price is right and seem fine so far

Not saying this is the problem, just an observation

Checked the threaded end , no real groves to speak of. Plugs were new at the beginning of the trip stock 9's . Put the coils on the meter and they all had the same ohm readings. Checked the tors switches and they are performing correctly. Carbs are coming off tomorrow or Sunday depending on work schedule.

Thanks for the offer on the foam and wrap, I am going to try and find a complete seat so I can just do the swap first. If I can find a black/blue or straight black.
I don't like the standard 2" riser I put on , I will have a rox pivot riser coming soon along with an apex seat.

Back