• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Coolant Leaking Around Head Pipes & Tunneling Under Valve Cover Gasket (with pics)

carsonauto

Hey guys, I've had this sled parked for about 2 years (I'm a bad owner). When I popped the hood I saw coolant pooled around the metal pipes that run coolant down into the head (right here, not my picture)>

MVMtBHS.png

The coolant had gotten everything pretty rusty and nasty, so I pulled the heat pipes out and took off the valve cover. The inside of the motor (in the coolant channel) looks spotless, I think the coolant just blew past the pipe o-rings, but the seals look mint (and the only rusty metal is above the seal itself). I'm not even entirely sure where the coolant came from in the first place.

Anyways, my question is what I should do about the rust and gunk on the head itself. Does it look salvageable, and is there a way to clean it up without taking the head right off? The buildup/corrosion can be scratched off with a screwdriver, but I'm not in a rush to fill the head with rusty metal bits if I can avoid it.

Thanks for looking guys.

bijhGeY.jpg

39hQOyt.jpg

GUIdNls.jpg

V6r9Qc0.jpg

I remember my '03 did this too, but I just soaked up the extra fluid every now and then. It never corroded as bad as yours looks. I'm thinking the hot and cold cycles just create a small area for some coolant to escape but likely not a big issue. I think since you've pulled it apart, why not plug the holes and carefully wire brush it.

Back