• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Gear Reduction Failure

Pete_man26

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Attak
Guys,

I need some input/advice on my father in law's 03 RX-1. I got a text this morning at 430AM of the PTO side of the motor exploded and it looks like the gear reduction failed. The sled has about 13000kms on it and there were no signs of any failure prior to last night. Any thoughts or opinions?

I'm hoping it didn't destroy the block and the that just the outer case was blown apart. I will be looking for gear reduction parts if anyone has as well.

Has anyone else seen this before? I couldn't seem to find much for info on them on here.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 128

I lost one last year on an Apex and no damage was done to the engine internals. Crap did get into the oil though. You'll want to do a flush cycle before hitting the trail.

Sounds like this may have happen due to primary clutch failure. Clutch is in pieces and only 1 of weights remains, I'm wondering if the clutch broke and stayed partially attached to PTO and with the unbalanced weight it blew the gear reduction apart.

I don't know if my PMs are going through but I have all the gear reduction parts if your engine is fixable.

Ken.......

Back