• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Help

Bertian185

I have a 2005 Rx-1 it has just over 5000 miles on it and ive never had any trouble with it until now. It was running great every time i started it over the summer and one day it was running fine and all of sudden it started sounding like crap. I found out that it was only running on 2 cylinders after that so i cleaned the carbs out and still no change so i kept checking the carbs and made sure they were spotless i replaced all 4 of the needle and valves and all the o-rings its now running on all 4 but when you try to give it gas it sounds like its boging out and will now rev up at all. im guessing its running rich but i adjusted the mixture screw and nothing changed im gonna go out today and adjust is some more and see if it changes anything. if you guys have any advise i can use all the help i can get. thanks :)

I see this is your first post so I guess a big Welcome to the site is in order. First thing to do is change your plugs and make sure they are gapped correctly. That may very well be your problem my 05 did the same thing and that fixed it. Its funny they run fine until they get warm and then the plugs start acting up. I would also go and get some startron and put some in your gas tank. Now at night when its dark start it up and look at the ignition coils (on top of the spark plugs) if you are seeing a light show (sparks and arcing) that would be your problem. Check this all out and let us know how you make out. Good luck. :Rockon:

are you already running the cr10ek's? did this to mine and made it much easyer to run in the summer. i fouled the stock plugs my 1st summer. we always start the sleds and run them up to tempurature and spin the tracks every 3 weeks in the off season.

Yup, what Sled Dog said. Same thing happened to mine. Took the ignition coils apart and cleaned with break cleaner. They had a bit of carbon build up and were shorting out on the head.
When that happened to me it felt like I was on my wifes XC 500!

Thanks for the welcoming and for the pointers. Im running cr9e's and i just cleaned all the coils and saw no lights it now revs up to about 5000rpm before its starts boging and alot of poping sounds are coming from the exhaust

Is everything stock (air box,jets,etc)?
Make sure your not sucking in air on the air box or carb boots.
Make sure the coils still click and hold your plugs. I know you said you never saw the light show but check this. I had two of my coils that wouldn't hold/click onto my plugs any longer. My sled had similar issues this year but it was a jetting issue with my airbox mod. Fixed the jetting issue and the sled ran strong and fast. Two weeks ago went out for a ride and half way through the ride the sled was bogging bad. Barely made it back to the shop. I thought it might have been an electrical issue. The tech took a look checked a couple of things. He thought it as a fuel issue (dirty carb). We shut down the sled and he says sometimes the vent lines on the top of the carbs can cause this issue. We pull out the vent lines and then replace them. We didn't see any blockage. I go and fire up the sled and turn it around in the field behind the shop. Issue gone. Sled is running strong again. Scratching head. Figure the tech has the touch. Sled has been running good since.

Check the TORS setting since you had the carbs off for cleaning. Pictures show Apex freeplay but it should be similar for the RX

Attachments

• Apex_TORS.jpg
    Apex_TORS.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Nytro TORS test.jpg
    Nytro TORS test.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 234
If you checked coils ,cleaned them and made sure they click when you put them on Try and Change plugs to cr10ek's . They are a better plug . The 9's like to foul if you start and shutdown the sled a lot After you do that and if it still does it check tors . Please keep us informed how its going . I just reread your post im leaning towards the tors hope this helps

Bertian185 said:
Thanks for the welcoming and for the pointers. Im running cr9e's and i just cleaned all the coils and saw no lights it now revs up to about 5000rpm before its starts boging and alot of poping sounds are coming from the exhaust

Give us some more info here. Its obviously getting better. Did you change to new plugs? Did you just clean the plugs? Did you just clean the coils? I really think it either your plugs or your coils are not seating properly. If it was tors you would not be reving to 5000.

Sled Dog said:
Bertian185 said:

Give us some more info here. Its obviously getting better. Did you change to new plugs? Did you just clean the plugs? Did you just clean the coils? I really think it either your plugs or your coils are not seating properly. If it was tors you would not be reving to 5000.

Ah good point because it would kick in the clutch and defeat the purpose of tors

Another Thing i forgot to mention the clutch rattles alot when it idles im not to worried about that at the moment. I pulled out the plugs and checked there spark all 4 are sparking buetifully. I dont have the airbox on because im contantly taking the carbs on and off. This sled has really taken me by suprise ive never had trouble with a Yamaha untill now

I would change the plugs, just because they are sparking out of the cylinders doesn't mean they are sparking in the cylinders.

Bertian185 said:
Another Thing i forgot to mention the clutch rattles alot when it idles im not to worried about that at the moment. I pulled out the plugs and checked there spark all 4 are sparking buetifully. I dont have the airbox on because im contantly taking the carbs on and off. This sled has really taken me by suprise ive never had trouble with a Yamaha untill now

There is your problem this engine will not run right with the airbox off to lean. Put it back on making positive the airbox goes onto the carbs correctly watch for the clamp to start moving off at the bottom of your carbs when tightening them and get back to us. I would change the plugs to cr10ek much better plug and does not foul near as easy. To get rid of he clutch rattle turn your idle up to 1800 rpm. Once you get the airbox back on properly I think it will run perfect again. I would still go and buy some startron and run it in the gas to clean the carbs and stabilize your fuel. A little trick I use to put on the airbox is I tie back the carb rack to the handle bars to raise the rack up just a bit once your air box is in place release the tie back the carbs move forward and down and they slip in perfectly everytime. ;)!

Its running alot better now its still not perfect but i think just some fine tuning is in order thanks for all the help :)

Back