• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Overheating Question

PA Jeep

I decided to buy a 2004 RX-1 Mountain after riding one for two days in West Yellowstone this season. The RX-1 I was on overheated anytime there was a hard packed trail and I was on the throttle for any length of time. Even with the overheating the sled was great in the loose stuff and I still decided to buy one. Does anyone out ther know if the 2004 models address this issue from the factory or do I have to take matters into my own hands. I asked my dealer and he never heard of it. Everyone who rode RX-1 mountains that I've talked to have had similar problems. If the solution does not come from Yamaha then I want to have a plan ready to fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated. :?:

No, they did not address the overheating problem for the 2004 models. Like LB said a heat exchanger would be the way to go. Someone on this forum put an old mountain max, or something like that, heat exchanger on their RX-1M and didn't have any more problems. Some other less expensive alternatives are the ice scratchers and some antifreeze additive that helps reduce heat. I forgot the name of it but it does help. Also as the engine get broke in, the overheating problem lessens.

Yea the fix would be as LB stated,even some of our short tracks had a problem now and again.

Thanks for the insite everyone. If anyone has a part number for the exchanger people are using it would be much appreciated. I'm going to find out about the Water Wetter product, however I'm with LB the only way to end the overheating will require a rear exchanger.

Back