• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx/apex clutch issue

maim

Staff member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 apex xtx
2011 apex xtx
2009 phaser rtx/x
1997 et410t/r
1988 vk 540
i find this one weird and though i would post it up.

brother, @kirkswim , has my old 05 rx war. as my other brother needed his 09 apex mountain clutched, we cheated and took the clutches off of the war and put them onto the apex. apex runs great. clutches from apex mtx where put onto the war. plan was when i clutched the 16 apex xtx to match the 11 xtx, we where going to throw the stock stuff into the clutches on the war as it is only a trail sled now and the xtx clutching is pretty darn good for that.

last weekend he put it in and was going to ride the sled. got it all together and the belt was staying engaged enough to stall the motor with brake applied on the stand. looked like sliding sheeve was sticking. took it apart and cleaned it up making sure everything was sliding freely when it was empty. put everything back in and tried it again. still doing the same thing. left sled at home and walked to camp. took it off again monday. all looked good until he turned it over in his hands. heard a noise like loose weight hitting roller. played with it until he found the issue. the weights where catching in the spider holding the clutch closed. all washers where in the correct place on the pins for the weights and rollers. found the old super tip corner to corner weights from ulmer that i had in it when i sold it to him. fit with no issues. going to test on weekend.

anyone else ever have this issue with the spider binding?

Check to see if you have the windows in the spyder.

The RX warrior clutch and the Apex clutch should both have windows in the spyder, but with all the clutching problems, someone may have changed that clutch. See pics.

Window in the spyder
facebook_1610042928226_6753009494030773454 (002).jpg

155369936_4517402904943141_1160102841514629702_n.jpg

Spyder with no window. AKA 2 stroke clutch
images

20191029_153215-jpg.152573

the mtx clutch had a set of super tips in it and it should have been stock as the sled only had a couple thousand mi on it.

Back