• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx1 erratic power

NewBee

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Rx1
I’ve been tuning my supercharged rx1 this year and got all the bugs out of carbs. The belt was slipping, so I put a heavier spring in the secondary. Took it out for a test ride, and ran pretty good, about 10500rpm wide open. Was headed back and stopped to talk to a buddy, started the engine back up again, pinned it and it instantly hit the rev limiter, and pulls like crazy! Did some more testing and it was on the limiter going up a steep hill in 3ft of powder almost doing backflips! However when I shut it off and let it cool down it goes back to what it was before. And then sometimes I’ll be going along, and it will just take off all of a sudden and stay that way till I turn it off and let it cool down. I’m at a loss does anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on?

I’ve been tuning my supercharged rx1 this year and got all the bugs out of carbs. The belt was slipping, so I put a heavier spring in the secondary. Took it out for a test ride, and ran pretty good, about 10500rpm wide open. Was headed back and stopped to talk to a buddy, started the engine back up again, pinned it and it instantly hit the rev limiter, and pulls like crazy! Did some more testing and it was on the limiter going up a steep hill in 3ft of powder almost doing backflips! However when I shut it off and let it cool down it goes back to what it was before. And then sometimes I’ll be going along, and it will just take off all of a sudden and stay that way till I turn it off and let it cool down. I’m at a loss does anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on?

You have a boost gauge on it?

You have a boost gauge on it?

Yep, at 10500 rpm it’s about 12-14lbs at the rev limiter it was hitting 16 lbs. I gapped the plugs to .02 and made sure all the coils are on tight. It runs a little smoother at top end now, but doesn’t affect it enough to account for the what’s happening.

Last edited:
Yep, at 10500 rpm it’s about 12-14lbs at the rev limiter it was hitting 16 lbs. I gapped the plugs to .02 and made sure all the coils are on tight. It runs a little smoother at top end now, but doesn’t affect it enough to account for the what’s happening.

Sounds like its over boosting.. try loading the tip of the weight some. more RPM will make more boost. You may be hooking and then blowing out the track.

Back