• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 in Mini Buggy

Turbotom22

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RX1
I installed a 2003 Yamaha RX1 1000 cc engine in a mini buggy. We used to have a 670 Rotax Ski Doo engine and this should be a great upgrade.

I took it for its first ride yesterday clutch seems to be working pretty good

Well I finally took the buggy out for a real ride and I think the clutch needs work. When the tires got traction and put a load on the engine the clutch was engaging too fast and bogging the engine. I'd take off and the engine would come up to about 6,000 then slowly climb to 9,000 where I would have to let off but that was 300-400 feet out.

My thought is the clutch weights need to be lighter. Stock weights are 63.8 grams, I was thinking of making a big change to something like 40 grams, but it would just be a guess and the weights are about $30 each and there are 3 or about $100 per try. Any suggestions?

In my opinion that would be FAR too light. Try drilling out some of the rivets in the stock weights first. Go 1 rivet at a time per weight at a time. No need to make a huge change like that. Also make sure your secondary spring isn't sacked out/broken. You are using the Yamaha secondary???

Try reaching out to Thunder Products, they support the site offer adjustable weights. Your application is a bit unique (and cool!) but I'm sure they could help get you started in the right direction and provide feedback based on your test/tune.

Stain yes it has the stock Yamaha secondary, I'll double check it but I think its good. I'll also look at removing rivets, that would be a good first step.

Snowman871 adjustable weights would make tuning a lot easier and Thunder Products is only 150 miles from me, thanks

Have you figured out what your top speed gearing is?

Before doing anything I would probably put new springs in before tuning. If they are original they are probably sacked, leading too the issues your currently having. Tuning with old springs will have you chasing your tail.

I have a decent setup for an RX with yamaha weights and springs, but it might not work well if your over geared.

PM me if your interested.

Now all you gotta due is turbo it and build some tracks for it!
Awesome buggy!!

I went through all this before when I was looking at putting a sled engine into a mini buggy I was designing. It's probably going to be more than just the clutching. The gearing to the axle will also come into play. It was a long time ago and my mini buggy didn't actually get built but the guys on minibuggy.net at the time helped me figure out what I needed for gearing. If I can remember corectly there was a formula to figure it all out. I'm not sure what kind of set up you have in the buggy right now for gearing to drive the rear axle but it will all play a part in the tuning process. Sorry I can't help you out more but that part of my life was a long time ago.
I would love to see more pictures of your set up if you have any.

Back