• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 k&N filters

Moodeyblue

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder SE
While browsing a couple of weeks ago, I thought I saw a picture of K&Ns for the RX1 where the crankcase vent hose hooks directly into the filter pod? This would be way better then installing a breather filter into the hose. Can anyone confirm this and tell me the part number of these filters?

I suppose you could do that with the filters we sell. (www.easterncycleperf.com)

Someone called me today with that same question and remark and thinking about this, I am not so sure that would be a good idea. Firstly, the reason that the RX1's have been known to pull oil from the crankcase and injest it into the carburetor is because the crankcase breather hose in put into the airbox.

Also, with our filters and the pictures I have seen of the Raptor filters, they are a 2 barrel design in that one large oval shaped filter feeds 2 carbs. If you were to do as you state above, you would be feeding slightly more air pressure to that "2 set" of carbs as well as feeding it hot air from the crankcase while the other 2 carbs are injesting nice cool air from the atmosphere. This is going to alter the jetting on those 2 carburetors. The vent filters are small enough to hide easily anyway.

My suggestion (for what it is worth) is to not do this crankcase venting mod. Now an actual crankcase evac system like we use on our Pro Stock motorcycles would be worth a few ponies.

Freddie

Hi freddie,can you tell us more about your crancase evac system,is it a pump like i have seen on this forum for around $400.00 and maybe 4-6 hp please tell us all you know,thanks Pete :lol:

Yes...those are the pumps. Not sure if it is the exact same thing as you have seen on this forum though as I haven't seen that post.

All the NHRA Pro Stock motorcycles use them. They are an electric pump that pulls the air out from under the pistons on the down stroke. It is worth a few HP...it all depends on how well the original crankcase venting is to begin with. On our 4 stroke race engines, we actually port the engine case for oil flow and better air movement much like you would port a cylinder head.

I am not responsible for the idea to use these pumps nor did I have anything to do with designing them for this usage. I could get them though if you are interested.

On one of my Pro Stock bikes, I made my own crankcase evac system that took now power and added very little weight. The pumps are a bit heavy...not sure of their weight exactly but what I did was create an evac system utilizing the exhaust system of the bike.

What I did was cut the collector in half where all 4 pipes meet. Directly down the center of the 4 pipes, I installed a 1/2 inch diameter tube. Make sure the tube is extending past the end where all 4 pipes end by about 3/4 of an inch. This tube needs to be welded in place everywhere 360 degrees in an effort to seal it completely to prevent exhaust leaks. (this is a bit of a challenge but can be done) From the tube, you now connect a hose that runs to an area suitable for drawing the air out. On our Suzuki GS based Pro Stock engines, I decided to make up a billet insertable plug with a spigot on it that was installed where the starter motor went. (we start these engines with a remote off board starting system) but anywhere else that is suitable and experiences a lot of air movement will work. Making the tube extending past the end of the primary tubes that 3/4" where they collect results in a "siphon" affect thereby pulling air from the crankcase. This means that very little weight was added to the bike and no power from the electrical system was used. The sytem basically ran itself simply by starting the engine and efficiency of it went up as the RPM's went up.

One word of caution however...and this is important! You will need to create a baffling to prevent engine oil from being able to siphon out with the air. The first run I tried this system, I got onto the return road and had emitted smoke from my exhaust system for a good part of the run making it look like I blew the engine. I didn't though, but there was oil burning inside my exhaust system! Sure was funny having Dave Schultz pull in behind me and say "hey Fred, you're on fire" while he and the other riders on the return road are running away from my bike!

Nothing ended up happening to the bike whatsoever but if another run was made with it connected, I am sure eventually something bad would have happend. If anyone decides to try this method of crankcase evacuation, you will need to produce some internal baffling to prevent oil from being drawn out of your engine. I suppose if this was an easy thing to do, all the current PSB teams would be using it. They aren't and have all used the electric pump.

I think given the time to further develop this system, it could work.

Freddie

Thanks freddie,as always you answser all our questions completely,and have most of us thinking of new ways to improve the one ton lol, do you think this would be something worth developing for future projects if you guys could make it fool proof,for us fools lol what do you think cost vs hp would be worth it? :eek:

mnmsnowbeast said:
Thanks freddie,as always you answser all our questions completely,and have most of us thinking of new ways to improve the one ton lol, do you think this would be something worth developing for future projects if you guys could make it fool proof,for us fools lol what do you think cost vs hp would be worth it? :eek:

You are welcome sir. I appreciate your compliments.

I think it would be worth it for a guy looking to race. Not so sure about a trail rider or a weekend lake racer though. I was thinking about this more today and knowing what the pistons look like in the RX1, it might not be as nig a gain as we see on the Pro Stock style motorcycle engines because this piston is:
1. Smaller thereby displacing less air.
2. It is what we call a full slipper skirt piston thereby not having a lot of underside to the piston. On full skirt or even semi slipper skirt pistons, you get a lot more air "push" due to the shape of the piston on the underside.

I know something would be gained...just not sure how much. This is why R&D is so expensive.

Freddie

Again freddie thanks for looking into something that could benefit us rx1 riders,you the man,all of your R and D will not go unoticed to lonely trail riders freddie,i hope you have all the parts for the air supertune up kit for another rx1 plugs,jets,air filters and crank breather as i will call you in a couple of days to order mine,oh yea silver springs lol got to have them,if anyone wants the green ones i have a set brand new in box $30.00 and there yours,i will pay shipping. Pete Mcavoy 8)

Back