• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Mystery, input needed

84 Laser

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX1
Stock 03' RX1 bought used in '07. Cleaned carbs for the first time due to high idle wouldn't come down and cleaning was overdue but ran fine otherwise. Took off entire rack, cleaned all jets with cleaner and wire through all jet holes, inspected top of carbs didn't mess with needle or diaphragm...made sure little oring stayed on. Put back on sled but sprayed gas out front of carbs while running so ordered complete 03 rx1 carb rebuild kit off EBay and put new spark plugs in. Replaced all 4 jets and pilot air screw with new oring, washer and spring as well as new needle and seat. Replaced oring on main jet and float bowl orings along with new screws to replace rounded off ones from prior owner I assume. Put back on and it starts and idles great but it won't rev up beyond 3k rpms without bogging, no backfiring. All 4 plugs look clean and not wet. Have not synced carbs yet where it won't rev up. Tried bypassing TORs...no change. Did notice arching on one coil pack...swapped all 4 coil packs and plugs off '05 warrior that runs good. Checked fuses, no kinked gas line, inspected fuel pick up filters and fuel pump diaphragms... still would not rev up without major bogging. It seems either electrical related or simply not getting enough fuel. I also checked float bowl height on bench with bowls facing up and looked consistent via measurement front to back of float measured off carb housing. I did run compressed air through gas input lines with rack off and floats did rise and fall with no sticking. I also drained and put new oil in after first carb clean where it was getting way too much fuel in case gas got into base. Sled only ran inside with track elevated since tackling carbs. I'm baffled at this point, looking for things to try or rule out. From reading online I plan to check wires on coil pack connectors for breakage. Could I have damaged something pushing compressed air into the fuel lines with the rack on the bench? How can I test to see if it's getting enough fuel? Float bowl orings don't fit as well as original but no fuel leaking out of bowls. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Is the airbox in place?
I have run it with the air box on and off with no major difference. Also made sure airbox was fully secured and tight around carbs. I forgot to mention I drained all the fuel from tank and sucked out remaining fuel with a shop vac. Wondering if there's a stuck check valve or something preventing full fuel flow? Plan to check that too.

Carbs were off when tank was cleaned out, could I have damaged filters in the tank or fuel pump? Took pump apart and saw no tears on the diaphrams, it's working as sled will start and idle all day, maybe not well enough to feed higher fuel demand?You must have a thought with that response, please share your input, thanks.

You say you put carb kits in. Were the jets installed in the proper locations?

You say you put carb kits in. Were the jets installed in the proper locations?
Yes, made sure the larger jet was put on the main jet and the smaller one on what parts diagram refers to as the power jet. I can see how these 2 could get installed incorrectly. Going to mess with the filters, lines and pumps more tonight. Not sure if I can measure fuel flow on each pump by removing output line off the pump with engine running on 2 cylinders? See if it can observe more fuel flow as rpms increase.

Since you are running it on a stand try spraying a little carb cleaner in the carb throats as its bogging..if it picks up then you know its a fuel delivery problem of some kind

Update: Tonight I noticed when it started to bog by applying some choke it started to come out of it so narrowed it down to likely fuel delivery. Checked vacuum hoses and plugs on the manifolds with no leaks. I then disconnected the gas lines off the tank and fuel pumps and blew them out. Hooked them back up to the fuel pump but put the other ends in a 5 gallon gas can and it no longer bogs when revving it up! So I need to replace the filters, have read about others removing tank filters and putting inline filters up by the fuel pump...any downside going this route? Will the pick up hoses stay at the bottom of the tank with no filters on? Sled was a little rough from 4-6k rpms but I still need to sync the carbs and the spark plug boots/coils are loose and one was arching before I cleaned it so will get new ones. I think the main issue is resolved, thank you 74Nitro and BrianA for chiming in with constructive suggestions.

I replaced the two fuel filters in my RX-1 when I recently rebuilt the carbs. If you have a parts grabber like this, they are easy to fish out.

screw.JPG

The only problem is that the hoses are just long enough to get the filters situated and positioned close to the tank opening where they can be replaced. It can be a challenge where the filters may fall back into the tank where you have to fish them out again but it wasn't really that bad of a job.

I replaced the two fuel filters in my RX-1 when I recently rebuilt the carbs. If you have a parts grabber like this, they are easy to fish out.

View attachment 152603

The only problem is that the hoses are just long enough to get the filters situated and positioned close to the tank opening where they can be replaced. It can be a challenge where the filters may fall back into the tank where you have to fish them out again but it wasn't really that bad of a job.
Yes, I used that exact tool to pull them up and inspect, one line was barely long enough to get the filter in the hole not sure how I'll get it off, guess I'll have to tug on it a little. I have a couple small check valves with a screen that I am going to put on where the stock filters go and put an inline filter under the hood. If that doesn't work well can always go with stock setup.

Yes, I used that exact tool to pull them up and inspect, one line was barely long enough to get the filter in the hole not sure how I'll get it off, guess I'll have to tug on it a little. I have a couple small check valves with a screen that I am going to put on where the stock filters go and put an inline filter under the hood. If that doesn't work well can always go with stock setup.[/
Yes I found out you can remove the old filters thru the fill neck but cannot install the new filters this way as the hose is too short to get out of the tank.I unbolted the 2 bolt flanges on the front of the tank after pulling filters off &removed hose from there.The new hose has to be able to be submerged in fuel&was hard to find&expensive (also the clamps are an odd size) I replaced the hose with new hose that is longer&then reassembled&pulled the new hose up thru fill neck&put your new filters on&then put back into tank.next time hose is long enough to service filters thru the fill neck.I guess yamaha never considered this problem?

[/
Yes I found out you can remove the old filters thru the fill neck but cannot install the new filters this way as the hose is too short to get out of the tank.I unbolted the 2 bolt flanges on the front of the tank after pulling filters off &removed hose from there.The new hose has to be able to be submerged in fuel&was hard to find&expensive (also the clamps are an odd size) I replaced the hose with new hose that is longer&then reassembled&pulled the new hose up thru fill neck&put your new filters on&then put back into tank.next time hose is long enough to service filters thru the fill neck.I guess yamaha never considered this problem?

Interesting. I have been fighting with my 03 rx1 with the exact same symptoms. I will check out the fuel filter in the tank also. Only thing that makes me think mine issue isn’t the filters is it ran fine before I cleaned the carbs, it just idled a bit rough. I do believe I have a fuel issue though because putting on the choke also works for me. I’m going to try sucking fuel from a jerry can also just to rule out the filters

Back