• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Starter Help

RXLevi

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Rx-1
Hello everybody, first time posting here! I purchased a non running 2003 rx1 off of a friend for cheap from another guy who bought it for cheap. Anyways, after a new battery it wouldn't crank, sounded like a short(clicking and smoke) on start. I traced it down to the starter, which is completely toast and seized. The original owner said that it was running fine, the lights dimmed and the engine sputtered and died about 5 minutes later. My guess was that the solenoid malfunctioned and engaged the starter until it cooked, shorted and killed the battery. I have a new solenoid on its way already, but am looking for a new starter. A new OEM starter is over $400 and the cheapest used rx1 specific starter I could find was around $100. I was curious to if it's possibly to use a starter off of an R1 or Apex, as they appear to be very similar if not the same starter. I also found a few aftermarket china specials for around $60. If anyone has any experience with this, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Wave...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hello everybody, first time posting here! I purchased a non running 2003 rx1 off of a friend for cheap from another guy who bought it for cheap. Anyways, after a new battery it wouldn't crank, sounded like a short(clicking and smoke) on start. I traced it down to the starter, which is completely toast and seized. The original owner said that it was running fine, the lights dimmed and the engine sputtered and died about 5 minutes later. My guess was that the solenoid malfunctioned and engaged the starter until it cooked, shorted and killed the battery. I have a new solenoid on its way already, but am looking for a new starter. A new OEM starter is over $400 and the cheapest used rx1 specific starter I could find was around $100. I was curious to if it's possibly to use a starter off of an R1 or Apex, as they appear to be very similar if not the same starter. I also found a few aftermarket china specials for around $60. If anyone has any experience with this, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Wave...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Have you looked at part numbers by model?

Have you looked at part numbers by model?
The OEM number for an apex starter is 8HG-81890-00-00 while an rx1 OEM part number appears to be 8FA-81890-00-00. I'm wondering if anyone has ever interchanged the two. The internal part numbers on both seem to be the same.

The OEM number for an apex starter is 8HG-81890-00-00 while an rx1 OEM part number appears to be 8FA-81890-00-00. I'm wondering if anyone has ever interchanged the two. The internal part numbers on both seem to be the same.

I would think you could but I am not certain. Try contacting @hibshman25 (Travis at Barn of Parts) on the site. He parts out all kinds of sleds and may have some in site.

I would start with a new Chinese seloniod off amazon they are like $8 and always go on the rx1.

Back