• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 suspension

tomhardin

Where are the zerk fittings on the RX1 suspension? I only find one on each ski spindle.
Tom H.

on the front, that is pretty much it.

on the rear skid if it is a proaction it should have at least 7-8 grease fittings.

apltx08 said:
What year or type of SUSPENSION?
'05 RX1. Totally stock, including the suspension. Guess I don't know enough about the possibilities to say more than this. Sorry.

maim said:
on the front, that is pretty much it.

on the rear skid if it is a proaction it should have at least 7-8 grease fittings.

Thanks. It's a stock '05 RX1, whatever suspension that would mean. Guess I don't know enough about the possibilities to say more than this. Going over the suspension with a light, I don't find any zerk fittings where they were located on my old '97 SX 700. So, I'm assuming that means Yamaha has replaced the old greaseable bearings with "lifetime" bearings? Otherwise, I'm just missing finding the zerk fittings.

yamahamaniac said:
It's in the manual, if you don't have one I don't know if you could find one online?

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the RX manual earlier, but I still don't find any zerk fittings where the manual indicates stuff should be lubed. Either I'm blind or the manual must be referring to using a spray-on, water dispersing lube????
Tom

Bullet69 said:
There arn't any on the skid of an 05 RX-1 They are a sealed unit that are supposed to be serviced when you change the hifax.

Thanks for the info. Guess Yamaha set the the hi-fax replacement routine up to benefit the dealer. When I've read how to replace the hi-fax, I don't remember anything about servicing sealed bearings. Does this mean that the skid has to be essentially taken off and then taken apart?

Yes it does if your going to service those bearings. Yamaha figures that you are going to take the skid out to replace the hifax since the windows on the track are small and the majority of the people are going to take it to the shop to have it done. A Yamaha Tech that I talked to when I was concidering havine grease zerks installed said that in the skids that he had seen, there was less moisture damage in those skids than ones with grease zerks. I suppose being that not everyone greases the skid after a ride.

early production had no zirks but i have a later 05 and it has all the zerks , and as far as the slides go i cut open two holes in the track to pass the slides thru , 17000 km and its fine

Bullet69 said:
Yes it does if your going to service those bearings. Yamaha figures that you are going to take the skid out to replace the hifax since the windows on the track are small and the majority of the people are going to take it to the shop to have it done. A Yamaha Tech that I talked to when I was concidering havine grease zerks installed said that in the skids that he had seen, there was less moisture damage in those skids than ones with grease zerks. I suppose being that not everyone greases the skid after a ride.

Many thanks for your comments. Guess it's time for me to call my friendly dealer and see what the freight is on upgrading to zerks as opposed to just lubbing the bearings (or replacing them, whatever) and whether he even recommends a replacement.

grumpysanta said:
early production had no zirks but i have a later 05 and it has all the zerks , and as far as the slides go i cut open two holes in the track to pass the slides thru , 17000 km and its fine

Good idea, but I'm always a little hesitant to mess around with the track other than studs. Can't argue with 17K km though.

Back