• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

S/C Phazer occasional no start

yam429

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro XTX, 2010 Vector LTX, 1981 SRX 440, 1985 SRV, 1991 Snosport, 2004 Snowhawk
My brother has an 07 MPI Supercharged Phazer that runs great but occasionally when we stop to eat it has issues firing back up in cold weather after sitting for an hour or so. It will eventually start but it takes about 10-15 minutes of cranking on the starter and varying throttle position from nothing to a very little. It will fire and sputter like it wants to start but just won’t until something happens after ten minutes or so and then it will start but not without a fight. We thought it was the race fuel 110 because it doesn’t like to fire in extremely cold temps so he tried the Sunoco Surge 105 which is suppose to be a better cold weather starting fuel. When it’s in his heated shop and been sitting for 6 months it’ll pop right off, strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if it’s a supercharger related thing or a Phazer thing. All cold weather updates have been done to this sled.

I don't imagine the SC makes it easy to squirt some ether in it when it doesn't want to fire. The other issue I see with squirting highly flammable spray into the intake on a SC is if it backfired through the intake it would probably explode the whole system. The stock Phazers will fire right up on ether easily.

Yeah we thought about making a priming system that would squirt 91 in there from a small separate reservoir onboard the sled being that 91 doesn’t have an issue with firing in extreme cold but not too familiar with how to go about it. Just not sure if it’s the Phazer or the supercharger system that’s acting up.

It turns out the exhaust valves were out of spec. Starts right up now and idles great.

Back