• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scratchers...... where did you mount yours and why?

fourbarrel

Building a collection one sled at a time
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I have been searching for and watching videos on scratchers,cable style and also spring style,where they have been mounted and the different brands available.I believe I will likely end up going with cable style but the location to mount them is still being decided.The most popular place by far in on the rails but to me the BEST place would be as far forward as possible,to a point,like the A arms or even the skis.IMO these locations would throw ice and snow into the whole skid/track area rather than just the back 1/3 or so of it.I have also seen scratchers mounted to the running boards and even that spot would cover more of the skid area,but I am looking for thoughts from those that have tried a couple different spots to mount theirs and how they found the snow throwing action.I am leaning to A arm mounting but so far I've only found one company that makes mounts for cables and that is SLP.

Mounted mine under footwell. I did not want them banging track and skid. I mounted to where they swing in front of track. Works well for reverse and they tuck into the running board when not down. Rode on hard ice and did a great job on both hyfax and engine temps.
20210307_124010.jpg
20210307_124054.jpg
20211107_220330.jpg
20211107_221214.jpg

Attachments

• 20210307_124054.jpg
    20210307_124054.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 529
In the first photo I have duraflex ice scratchers installed on my current sled. They’re mounted in the middle of the rear skid rails and work excellent. The slide rails and suspension are always full of snow in this mounted position. The snow sprays from the scratcher and lands in the rear of the skid and the rotating track flings the snow forward into the suspension with zero issues of quantity of snow. The second photo is where I’m going to mount scratchers on the slide action skid for my ‘22 Thundercat once it comes in.

Attachments

• 42EDFDA4-E76E-438B-809B-5BD92EBC3B0E.jpeg
    42EDFDA4-E76E-438B-809B-5BD92EBC3B0E.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 532
  • B36D5662-DF83-41C0-97D6-190E05E4F504.jpeg
    B36D5662-DF83-41C0-97D6-190E05E4F504.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 574
I have the duraflex on a 17 ltx le, I have them mounted where you are going to mount yours. They work great and take a beating. That being said I did break the ends off last year but they lasted over 5000 miles.

I have the duraflex on a 17 ltx le, I have them mounted where you are going to mount yours. They work great and take a beating. That being said I did break the ends off last year but they lasted over 5000 miles.
Excellent !! I bent one of my tips straight and my buddy broke the carbide tip off one of his Duraflex scratchers and we both finally figured out what caused it. We went across a steel deck bridge and didn’t put them up. We now stop if we have to cross a steel deck to avoid any problems and have had zero issues since.

I've been running Duraflex mounted to skid. 3 years now and carbide tips only have slight wear. They work so good I usually only need to have one down. Work fine in reverse too. Snow/ice sprays into the inside of the skid. I have the Duraflex "hook" too to store them up.

Attachments

• Duraflex scratchers.1.jpg
    Duraflex scratchers.1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 559
I've been running Duraflex mounted to skid. 3 years now and carbide tips only have slight wear. They work so good I usually only need to have one down. Work fine in reverse too. Snow/ice sprays into the inside of the skid. I have the Duraflex "hook" too to store them up.
I see you only have one wheel up in front on the outside. Gave you more room to mount the scratchers and the hook mount. Nice !!

I use 1 1/2" pipe hose clamps to place them in there not acrive position

I have been searching for and watching videos on scratchers,cable style and also spring style,where they have been mounted and the different brands available.I believe I will likely end up going with cable style but the location to mount them is still being decided.The most popular place by far in on the rails but to me the BEST place would be as far forward as possible,to a point,like the A arms or even the skis.IMO these locations would throw ice and snow into the whole skid/track area rather than just the back 1/3 or so of it.I have also seen scratchers mounted to the running boards and even that spot would cover more of the skid area,but I am looking for thoughts from those that have tried a couple different spots to mount theirs and how they found the snow throwing action.I am leaning to A arm mounting but so far I've only found one company that makes mounts for cables and that is SLP.
you can put them anywhere on rails and works perfect. Actually even one down works perfect. I am sure would work fine closer to front of sled also but don't over think it you pretty much cant put in the wrong place.

I use these. Never had good luck with cable type scratchers. Ends loosen up, and or rail connection loosens up and not enough pressure maintained downward.
42FB7F51-A418-45B2-A990-AFD09824818B.jpeg

Attachments

• B3F3BED4-27D2-4AB4-8996-F1208A0D27CB.jpeg
    B3F3BED4-27D2-4AB4-8996-F1208A0D27CB.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 434
Be careful not to mount them(or anything) near those rubbers on the rail. I've seen plenty do just that, not realizing that when the suspension compresses, the top wheels hit them.

I have had a few Vipers without an issue over over heating do Sidewinders need scratchers or just a precaution.

I use these. Never had good luck with cable type scratchers. Ends loosen up, and or rail connection loosens up and not enough pressure maintained downward. View attachment 163542
Those scare me. I've seen them get bent and tangled in a track, ripping inside lugs right off.

I been running these cheap brp scratchers for 2 season and they been working great. They are always down I don't even have a holder to lift them. So far about 5000km on them and they still look good.
Temps are always perfect!!
20211111_195541.jpg

Back