• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scratching My Head

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 Rage Rs
hey all! New to the forum... on the advice of many others. Looking to see if anyone can help me with a head scratcher of an issuue. I will take any advice or contacts at this point.

I have a 2005 Rage RS. Four stroke carbureted triple. 900 miles total. Bought it four years ago, and have been plagued by one consistent issue.

85-95 MPH sustained riding, about a mile or so. If I pull out of the throttle, I can't get back into it at all. Feathering the thumb, she will recover a bit, but not the same. If I pull out of it, stop, make a turnoff, etc, it'll stall. Quick choke, roll it over, and away we go.

Have had it looked at a few times, but nobody can test ride it at that speed and length to replicate the issue.

Have eliminated TORS issues. Carbs gone through by a professional. Plugs, new. Wiring, checked. (Says my invoice).

Happens at all temperatures, most recently at today's -30ish.

At a loss. Searched many a Yama-forum, to no avail.

I currently have the fuel pumps pulled out and apart. They look okay visually, but don’t know if the diaphragms are compromised in any way. I believe they are non rebuildable? Can anyone confirm?

Many have suggested a clutching issue, and honestly, I don’t understand. That said, they have been pre season dealer serviced, and I am assuming, “fine”?? What should I be looking for.

I need resolution, and fast. At the end of my rope!

Guru up! Looking forward to any ideas!!

Thanks in advance!

hey all! New to the forum... on the advice of many others. Looking to see if anyone can help me with a head scratcher of an issuue. I will take any advice or contacts at this point.

I have a 2005 Rage RS. Four stroke carbureted triple. 900 miles total. Bought it four years ago, and have been plagued by one consistent issue.

85-95 MPH sustained riding, about a mile or so. If I pull out of the throttle, I can't get back into it at all. Feathering the thumb, she will recover a bit, but not the same. If I pull out of it, stop, make a turnoff, etc, it'll stall. Quick choke, roll it over, and away we go.

Have had it looked at a few times, but nobody can test ride it at that speed and length to replicate the issue.

Have eliminated TORS issues. Carbs gone through by a professional. Plugs, new. Wiring, checked. (Says my invoice).

Happens at all temperatures, most recently at today's -30ish.

At a loss. Searched many a Yama-forum, to no avail.

I currently have the fuel pumps pulled out and apart. They look okay visually, but don’t know if the diaphragms are compromised in any way. I believe they are non rebuildable? Can anyone confirm?

Many have suggested a clutching issue, and honestly, I don’t understand. That said, they have been pre season dealer serviced, and I am assuming, “fine”?? What should I be looking for.

I need resolution, and fast. At the end of my rope!

Guru up! Looking forward to any ideas!!

Thanks in advance!

Any chance you can video the process. Without actually driving it and hearing it, I would not be much help.

Needing choke to restart hints at fuel starvation/ lean condition.. Checked float levels? Ripped carb boot? Next time it does it pull the plugs and look at he color. How does it run otherwise?

Needing choke to restart hints at fuel starvation/ lean condition.. Checked float levels? Ripped carb boot? Next time it does it pull the plugs and look at he color. How does it run otherwise?

She runs like an absolute champ until 80+ mph. Float levels confirmed. Boots a-ok. Fuel pumps, air box, filters, vent lines... Check, check, check, check.
I haven't been able to pull the plugs when it happens. Last ride was waaaay too cold to expose flesh. But it sure was a thought.
I don't have a GoPro or anything. Can't quite fire up an iPhone and drive with one hand at 80 mph. Lol

In 2005 there was a problem with the timing of the TORS. I believe Yamaha flashed the ECU with new parameter that delayed the ECU from activating the TORS until the throttle switch and sensor on the carb's had time to synchronize. With so few miles on that sled do you know if that update was done? How did you eliminate the TORS....... did you bypass it under the handlebar pad?

Hey, any updates on your problems?? Have exact same issue with a 2008 Vector GT, although i believe the choke doesnt really have any help in re-starting. Full throttle it wants to loose all power and sometimes u can feather the throttle to keep it running, other times it will die and then you can restart it. Sometimes it will fire right back up, others it will take a bit of cranking. Talking to another Yamaha mechanic that has been working on them for awhile says it could be the valve seats. he has seen over half a dozen where the guides/seats will actually fall out of get loose and once they hammer back up into place it will operate normal. This being said I also heard this will show up more at low speeds so im leaning towards cdi.. Fuel is not an issue and clutching isnt going to stall the machine unless something locked up but that is not an issue. Im very flustered with this issue as well and not finding many with the same issue.

Back