• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SD-08 code only when put in reverse

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
My buds' Winder only pulls the SD-08 code when put in reverse then it doesn't go away until motor turned off.
Any ideas?

Do forward and reverse work well?

I would wager something wrong with servo motor and/or dirty. Swap your servo motor with his and see if code disappears!

When this happened to my 18 it was the brushes stuck.

reverse actuator motor junk - or the top gear bushing in chain case is wore out so shifting forks are bent and or just the tabs are gone... make sure theres some slop in the belt and its not squeeling or near that tight in home position... u adjust that with the little washers stacked behind the large aluminum spacer behind main secondary bolt...

My buds' Winder only pulls the SD-08 code when put in reverse then it doesn't go away until motor turned off.
Any ideas?

Many times it’s the plastic gear in the reverse actuator that is stripped or getting a bad spot.
You can take it out and remove the small circlip then the plastic ring gear comes off. Reclock the gear 180 degrees and you’ll have all new teeth. The motor only moves about 60 degrees of rotation, so theoretically you could reclock it 4 times.

PS to get at the gear you just pop off the round cover.

does it throw a code when this occurs?? never had one work long enough to strip it...
Lol
What’s yer issue? Burning up the motors?
While I’m inside I usually clean out that shitty grease, it gets hard as a rock and dried up. Repack it with synthetic grease

so --- does it throw a code ?? i didnt think it did when it was stripped - just makes noise... and - my issue is - another cat design that dosent work when u need it most... we shouldnt be dealing with any of this BS ... so sick of the cat sheet ...and if u use reverse on the trail - it may leave u stranded..

so --- does it throw a code ?? i didnt think it did when it was stripped - just makes noise... and - my issue is - another cat design that dosent work when u need it most... we shouldnt be dealing with any of this BS ... so sick of the cat sheet ...and if u use reverse on the trail - it may leave u stranded..

I’m not entirely sure why the code gets thrown. I have had mine not go into reverse and no code. I have seen AC 7000 that would get the code every time it was put into reverse, but it actually shifted fwd & rev just fine, so I’m not sure? The guy fixed it by taking off the actuator and alligator clipping it to a tractor battery to spin the motor. Said he ran it both directions for a little while, spraying WD40 on the gears with the cover off, put it back on and no more code for a month then it started doing it again??? Possibly motor over current protection???

He's 2 hours away so he's on his own.
We removed his chain case cover & inspected. All looked well. This was the guy who had his top gear go bad on our trip so it's only got 1000 miles or less on whole thing.
On a stand, it only happens when he puts it in reverse.
This was also the guy that the sensor fell off so we taped it on. This time we glued it real well with epoxy.
It seems to work properly. He'll just have to restart his motor when he goes back into forward to get rid of code.

I have to ask after riding 15k miles on this chassis with none of these issues. How do these people store there sleds? Do they trailer them in an open trailer? Not trying to be a dink but just trying to understand how these things get corroded and full of debris.

I have to ask after riding 15k miles on this chassis with none of these issues. How do these people store there sleds? Do they trailer them in an open trailer? Not trying to be a dink but just trying to understand how these things get corroded and full of debris.
I hear ya Stain!! I had 2 2014 viper and zr7000 both with high milage 0 issues same with my 19 zr9000

I think what caused my motor to get condensation inside was that I would often park my sled in my heated shop to thaw, then move it back to cold storage the next day.
If not that, then idk.

Before messing with all of that let me make a suggestion if your belt is to tight and you try to go into reverse and sd 08 code pops up and sled wont move try loosening your belt had this happen a few times when adjusting the belt

I had the same issue last year. took it to the dealer and my actuator was just off a tooth or so.

Back