• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary play

Snowman11

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06 Apex GT
I've tried uploading a video but to large ..... Noticed before I took off my secondary that it has play back and forth on the shaft ... About the width of a washer ... Did someone forget one ??? This can't be normal .....

I know I'll get this wrong , but deflection I think ? I'm sure that's wrong .. What is it supposed to be (2006 Apex gt) from... the back of primary to front of secondary ? Is how u measure ? To know if I'm missing a shim or not seeing how it slides back and forth on the shaft the width of a washer , there are two behind it and two by the bolt ....now the 3 bolts in the back of the secondary ? Thsts for deflection ? For belt ride hight on the secondary ? I'm a great gear head but the techicals of clutches are sticky too me

Last edited:
The secondary will float back and forth. Mine floats slightly less than 1/8" or roughly the thickness of a washer. There are also shims on the back side of the secondary. Usually wafer thin to set the offset.
The washers behind the three bolts set how much the secondary can close or belt height.

The secondary will float back and forth. Mine floats slightly less than 1/8" or roughly the thickness of a washer. There are also shims on the back side of the secondary. Usually wafer thin to set the offset.
The washers behind the three bolts set how much the secondary can close or belt height.
Yes there is two shims on the backside of the secondary but don't know how it could set the off set if it's sloppy on the jack shaft ... It just seemed it had a an awfull lot of slop bout an 1/8 of an inch , didn't know if that was normal..

Is there a reason the secondary has that kinda play ? , I've just never noticed it ...I'm thinking of getting another spacer/washer and "locking it down" I don't like it moves that much and creates an offset on the belt .. granted its not much , but what's the point of it having play , I won't see any mechanical advantage to having it sloppy ...

Mine floats/play it's been like that since day one never had any issues because of it. 10k plus miles of smiles without a issue.

Is there a reason the secondary has that kinda play ? , I've just never noticed it ...I'm thinking of getting another spacer/washer and "locking it down" I don't like it moves that much and creates an offset on the belt .. granted its not much , but what's the point of it having play , I won't see any mechanical advantage to having it sloppy ...

Lock it down but make sure it is perfectly aligned when you do and make sure nothing moves say under full throttle or off throttle! Exploding belts are not fun when they take out the belly pan hood plastic or coolant hose! I dont think the movement creates offset but rather auto align`s the belt under varing conditions! I have perfect belt life and no heat on clutches or belt so I just don`t worry about it. I dropped the tool on the belt it was in spec so I stopped thinking about it!

Lock it down but make sure it is perfectly aligned when you do and make sure nothing moves say under full throttle or off throttle! Exploding belts are not fun when they take out the belly pan hood plastic or coolant hose! I dont think the movement creates offset but rather auto align`s the belt under varing conditions! I have perfect belt life and no heat on clutches or belt so I just don`t worry about it. I dropped the tool on the belt it was in spec so I stopped thinking about it!
Good point ! When things have no room for error .. that's when error happens, if that's considerd normal , then I guess I'll leave it , and your prolly rite .. it probably helps have some forgiveness to the belt and clutches

Last edited:
yes leave it alone apexes have exceptional belt life considering the HP and torque they have. it aint broke so don't try to fix it kind of thing.

Back