• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary Shaft - Reverse Gear Box Removal

MN-Wirenut

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Venture Lite - Blue/Gray
2007 Venture Lite - Black/Gray
Had the Venture Lite out for a ride on Saturday and the drive train seized up. I narrowed it down to the reverse gear box is locked up tight. Got it tore down most of the way, but trying to get the secondary shaft out is proving to be more difficult. The Service Manual says it should slide out the "right" side (which I have determined is the clutch side), but it doesn't seem to want to go... I have tried tapping it out from the chain case side with a block of wood and hammer but it doesn't even budge. I am thinking whatever failed inside the reverse gearbox is holding it tight. Anybody have any experience with this? I am thinking I will end up taking the shaft and gearbox out together, but looks like I could take the exhaust off then slide the whole works to the clutch side, then out; or else possibly take off the chain case-side frame plate? Any thoughts/guidance is appreciated.

Sides are determined according to the seated position so right side is the mag or battery side.

Although I have never taken it out of the MP, I have from a Phazer, which is very similar. If you pulled the seat and tank, remove the secondary clutch bearing, remove the coolant tank and the shift motor on the gearbox. IIRC, I slid it towards the left, manoeuvred and tilted it out between the frame and engine.

BTW, was the chaincase full of oil when it failed? Was the oil pipe and grommet updated? It may have been starved for oil. You should replace them on both sleds, leak or no leak.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/07-fx-chain-case-leak.122264/page-3#post-1091870

Your assessment is spot-on as usual Mooseman. Chain case oil level was extremely low. Oil pipe update was not done. Two new ones on order as of this afternoon. It looks like sliding the assembly "left" (as seated on the machine) should work. Do you know if the secondary jack shaft slides out of the reverse gear box when it is not seized? Just curious... Also, found a guy who sells parts as Spa City Sled Parts who happens to be parting out a 2007 VL (getting a new/used jack shaft and reverse gear box from him). His user name on the forum is henseljg2 if anyone needs parts for a VL/MP/etc. Thanks Mooseman

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_174150135-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190311_174150135-1008x756.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20190311_174222331-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190311_174222331-1008x756.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20190311_174158828-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20190311_174158828-1008x756.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20190311_174231289-756x1008.jpg
    IMG_20190311_174231289-756x1008.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 309
No problem. What good is knowledge if it's not shared? :)

The jackshaft stays in the reverse gear so it all comes out in one piece. Looking at the pics reminded me that you might also need to remove the exhaust header pipes to allow the assembly to tilt up enough to slide out and over the chaincase. Don't forget to remove the coolant reservoir.

I remember @henseljg2 . He is a regular on the forum.

After tearing the sled down last winter, was unable to get back to reassembly until now. Having some trouble with the order of the spacers on the output shaft of the reverse gearbox (in the secondary chaincase. There are two spacers one is thinner and gold colored, the other is wider and appears to be a normal steel color. Any help would be appreciated.

After tearing the sled down last winter, was unable to get back to reassembly until now. Having some trouble with the order of the spacers on the output shaft of the reverse gearbox (in the secondary chaincase. There are two spacers one is thinner and gold colored, the other is wider and appears to be a normal steel color. Any help would be appreciated.
I just noticed your post and have pics of the inside with the spacers and what arrangement they should be in. I'm guessing you may have figured it out already, but I'll try to remember to post them when I get home. At least then they'll be available for future reference, if anyone needs them.

Back