• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary sheave wearing. Normal?

alexm2816

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-DX Turbo
I am taking the secondary apart to see if I can figure out where my takeoff issue is coming from and noticed that the secondary sheave ramps are a bit mangled.

Is this normal? It doesn't look bad but it certainly keeps the sheaves from sliding smooth. Is it repairable or am I going to be getting a new sheave?

Thoughts on a cause? Thanks for helping a noob out.

Not sure if the picture loaded but it's at this link https://i.imgur.com/uPBVFeA.jpg

What do the plastic buttons look like?

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the entire secondary pulley assembly as it was when you removed it and found the damage? Post a picture of just the helix as well.

To what degree of pre-load have you been winding the spring when you install the helix?

The plastic buttons in the pic below is what I was referring to in my first post.

AX32.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the entire secondary as it was when you removed it and found the damage?

To what degree of pre-load have you been winding the spring when you install the helix?

Ah. I called them shoes just because thats what the diagram had them as lol.

They look good to me.

I did not take a photo before disassembly and reassembly I'm afraid.

My symptoms I was trying to fix were hard take offs, like the sled was in 3rd gear since I replaced my secondary spring last week. I think I figured it out. I tried my 2nd torque wrench and it looks like my 1st one is out of whack. I was way overtightening the secondary studs and things were starting too far open.

To me it looks like corrosion.
View attachment 138122

Thanks Steve. I don't know why my computer has such a hard time with photos.

My symptom was hard starts and the belt squealing. So I took the secondary apart to see if I messed anything up when replacing my spring last week.

I think i figured it out late last night. My neighbor borrowed my torque wrench and since then it's WAY off. It looks like I overtightened the nuts holding the helix on and things were starting way too open. The marks on the sheave are likely just corrosion that I'm being anal and finally noticing.

That picture is the inner sheave which doesn't have ramps that make any contact. The contact is made between the buttons located on the outer sheave and the ramps on the helix not the sheaves.

What does the primary and secondary springs look like, did you break one? Did one of the locking hook ends break off the secondary spring?

What does the primary and secondary springs look like, did you break one? Did one of the locking hook ends break off the secondary spring?

Both springs are new and the other units removed looked good too.

You are right though. These ramps don't make contact with anything so I'm not sure if this is just some dings and dents from the factory or what but the helix ramps and shoes are both lookign just fine.

I think I'm just noticing thinsg for the first time lol

Both springs are new and the other units removed looked good too.

You are right though. These ramps don't make contact with anything so I'm not sure if this is just some dings and dents from the factory or what but the helix ramps and shoes are both lookign just fine.

I think I'm just noticing thinsg for the first time lol
Your other post says your belt is squealing on take off? Could it have been wet? Is this the issue you are having? What clutching do you have?

Your other post says your belt is squealing on take off? Could it have been wet? Is this the issue you are having? What clutching do you have?

Clutching is the big venom kit, Orange pink orange on the primary, orange on the secondary wound 6-1 now.

The belt had been squealing and it felt like it was trying to take off in 2nd gear on my last ride so I took the secondary back off, ensured everything was clean, scotch brighted, torqued to spec. Haven't had a chance to get back sadly but hoping to soon!

All was working well until I went in and replaced the primary and secondary springs so I'm pounding my head on the wall with this self inflicted wound!

Clutching is the big venom kit, Orange pink orange on the primary, orange on the secondary wound 6-1 now.

The belt had been squealing and it felt like it was trying to take off in 2nd gear on my last ride so I took the secondary back off, ensured everything was clean, scotch brighted, torqued to spec. Haven't had a chance to get back sadly but hoping to soon!

All was working well until I went in and replaced the primary and secondary springs so I'm pounding my head on the wall with this self inflicted wound!
Sure sounds like secondary helix wasnt clocked right. You always put tangs in whatever hole number you want and then make sure as you put Helix on you wind it tighter past the closest buttons.

Sure sounds like secondary helix wasnt clocked right. You always put tangs in whatever hole number you want and then make sure as you put Helix on you wind it tighter past the closest buttons.

Hmm. I just took a look and the spring on the helix is at 7:00 sitting the sled in the 6 hole on the helix and the 1 slot on the primary is at 10:00 or maybe 11:00, does that seem about right? I know I went clockwise putting things back together and it certainly fought me. Not sure an extra 120 degrees was in the cards...

Back