• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary without spacing washers?

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
I am currently aligning the clutches on my new to me sidewinder. When I got it the offset was 61.5mm, the service manual is saying 58.1-61.1mm, by removing the only washer behind the secondary (right against the bearing/clip) the offset becomes 59.6mm.

Is it acceptable to run the clutch directly up against the ring clip on the bearing?

I am currently aligning the clutches on my new to me sidewinder. When I got it the offset was 61.5mm, the service manual is saying 58.1-61.1mm, by removing the only washer behind the secondary (right against the bearing/clip) the offset becomes 59.6mm.

Is it acceptable to run the clutch directly up against the ring clip on the bearing?

First off, its fine to let the clutch go against the clip, I even remove the clip if need be, the bearing is not going to come off the shaft and the shaft will not move. The clip is 1.5mm as I recall, its been a while so check that, if you need to take it off, and don't worry about it, nothing bad is going to happen.

59.6mm is still not the correct offset, its still too high.

Check the PTO shaft and bearing to see if the shaft or bearing has moved in, many move in and need to be fixed and loctited so it does not move again. There are plenty of post on how to check the stub shaft on the engine and correct it, just be sure to loctite the bearing in the housing to prevent it again.

I checked behind the clutch and it seems to have not moved the stub shaft (there is ~3-4mm between the heads of the bolts and the back of the clutch). I will pull the clutch and check as soon as I get a new puller (I bent mine on a buddies sled) and check.

Reading through various threads the sense I am getting is the offset most people are running is right at or slightly below the Yamaha recommended range. Removing the clip would put me exactly at 58.1mm which is probably where I will set it for this winter.

I checked behind the clutch and it seems to have not moved the stub shaft (there is ~3-4mm between the heads of the bolts and the back of the clutch). I will pull the clutch and check as soon as I get a new puller (I bent mine on a buddies sled) and check.

Reading through various threads the sense I am getting is the offset most people are running is right at or slightly below the Yamaha recommended range. Removing the clip would put me exactly at 58.1mm which is probably where I will set it for this winter.

58.1 is a perfect place to be..imo

Arctic cats don’t even have a clip on the jackshaft

My Brand new,just picked up from the dealer,
2021 LTX-SE, with 0 miles, has exactly 68.2 mm of offset,
You better recheck your offset.

You're probably not measuring it at the correct points on your clutches or your caliper may be a tad off.

If it's that far out of spec your dealers PDI on your brand new sled is FUBAR.

Did you pull the secondary off and see how much shim is behind it?

With the belt off, From the outside of the secondary fixed sheave, to the edge of the primary fixed sheave, measures 68.2 mm.
Wow really!! How many washers on the back of secondary?
I would remove your primary and make sure the pto bearing is properly seated before doing any adjustments!!

68.2mm is way out

Back