• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seized rear linkage shaft on 07 Phazer GT

hank

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'16 RsVector XTX 1.75
'07 Phazer GT
'16 Phazer RTX
The two rear linkages on the 07 Phazer GT I recently picked up wouldn't take grease so I pulled the suspension apart to investigate/repair. I was able to get the longer shaft freed up by applying heat but the shorter shaft is completely seized. I've been soaking the linkage/shaft in penetrating oil, heating with a torch, applying blunt force with a hammer and using an impact tool. No luck so far getting it to loosen up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Hank

What kind of torch? If it's just a regular propane torch, you will likely need more heat than that to bring it to red hot. Also shocking it into cold water after getting it red might do it.

have you been letting it rest with one end up so you can fill with oil and let it sit? seen a seized drive shaft yoke get salvaged this way but it took 2 weeks for the oil to make it out of the bottom of the yoke.

Heat the tube and water shock the shaft so the tube expands and the shaft shrinks. Kinda what Mooseman said.

I am using MAPP gas, hotter than propane but not acetylene. I have not taken the tube to red hot nor have I cold shocked the tube, I'm a bit of a newbie in this area :(

I've been soaking the tube in a tub of penetrating oil, but that is horizontal so gravity is not working for me.

I picked up a tool to force penetrating oil into the zerk and I'm starting to get seepage on the ends which is a good sign.

I am able to move the shaft ~1/16 to 3/32.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm hopeful that I'll have it in a few more days.

-Hank

I can't remember if that grease fitting is threaded in or welded, but if it is threaded you could try to remove it to see if it makes any difference. I ran into a similar situation a while back on something where the fitting was a little too long and protruded into the inner piece, somewhat locking it in place. I was running out of options until i happened to take the fitting out and realized what was happening.

Back