• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Serious pressure every time I open fuel cap

Winderman69

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18' sidewinder RTX 50th anniversary
Does anyone have any idea why I always have a ton of pressure every time I take my fuel cap off? Today even as I was pumping the fuel out of my sled, pumped out 6 gallons, put cap back on, came back to finish up spun the cap off and as it came to the end of the threads there was already so much pressure it flew out of my hand! I didn't sit down on seat or anything? Always had pressure each I took it off last season but this seems a little extreme!

Where to start besides my dealer? Pinched vent tube?

They have a valve built into the vent line to allow a certain amount of pressure buildup to keep gas fumes from escaping into atmosphere.

Its normal.

Mine blows the cap off every time I remove it. The damn cap goes bouncing off my running boards into the snow alot.
Had my dealer check it out and my vent valve is working properly.

Sounds like yours is working properly. 1nc 2000

Yes, it makes a hiss noise while venting sitting in my garage or if I push down on the seat.
Both of mine make the same hissing noise if I push down on the seats when they’re parked and turned off.

as mike knapp said..this is intentional...due to emissions....they want to prevent exhaust gases from escaping into the atmosphere...

My 'Winder whistles. Not like Gene Kelly, but like when someone gives you a Nipple Nurple or as some say, a Purple Nurple.

Purple Nurple=The act of grabbing and twisting of another person's nipple
Nipple Nurple= Making that person whistle or they lose it

I own a Purple Nurple Whistling Winder!

Where to start besides my dealer? Pinched vent tube?
Had my sled in for service last week, dealer found my vent tube from tank was completely pinched off, replace the tube and also the new return valve Yamaha has out for the sidewinder. Put 110 miles on yesterday morning up at tug hill. No pressure at all when removing the cap,( and I tried it several times) and also a huge increase in fuel mileage 14 mpg!!! I ran this thing out of fuel completely in Canada last year only traveling 85 miles!!! Didn't seem to notice any performance difference , I was hoping I would seeing how rich I must have been running.

Mine hisses all the time, sounds like a distant train whistle. Even after running thru a full fuel load yesterday the cap popped off like a rocket on E.

Back