• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seriously thinking of quitting the sport

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
I'm tired of hoping and praying that next season will be better and it isn't. I'm tired of anxiously waiting for the first snowfall only to be disappointed when it gets washed away with rain a week later. I'm tired of paying for trail permits that don't get used. I'm tired of parking my sled after my first short ride and waking up next morning with it on grass. I'm tired of checking the trail status maps online only to see nothing but red in the middle of winter.

I love sledding and my machine, so much so that this really depresses me every damned year. I can't remember the last time we had a good full season of riding around here. I don't care about the expenses related to sledding as I expect it but to waste money on something (trail passes) that will just evaporate because the trails were closed all season just makes me angry.

I dunno what to think anymore. Sell the sled and stuff? Keep holding hope? I'm starting to feel like a fool thinking it will get better.

Your mood will change once the snow hits the ground, but I feel your pain. You can always trailer your sled North. Quebec is offering free sledding this weekend.

Yes the Ontario trail status really sucks this year
you can trailer 2.5 hours and be in good snow though, but that requires another pass

I feel the pain too. Southern Ontario hasn’t had good riding in a long time but this sport is in my blood. I have been riding for 30 years. Makes it hard to turn away from it. Hate to see the sled sit in the garage in the winter but when you do get to ride the high from riding comes right back. I know if I ever did sell my sled we would get a stellar year the next and that would kill me even worse.

Got the same issue around me in Central NY. Received several feet of snow between Xmas and January 7th. Massive warming mid-week, then it rained 2+ inches (5+ cm) last Friday with temps near 65°F (18°C). You can go on any of the Tug Hill club sites on Facebook and see the damage the rain and temps caused.

Unless you have the time to trailer north, local riding has been non-existent for the past 3 winters. Add in the fact 2 of my kids have sports activities nearly every weekend from November to April with 1 on Saturday and the other on Sunday, I have no time to ride. I usually get about 3-4 hours a week to ride and trailering to someplace with snow would take 1/2 of it.

Spending $200 on registration and insurance and riding less than 100 miles a season just is not worth it to me. I may end up selling my sled and getting one after the kids leave for college.

26230146_1800365663328794_740920365930999774_n.jpg
26231045_1799436316755062_1853647631202712549_n.jpg
26904015_1481055985340970_402128851622063235_n.jpg
26231654_1195947093872369_3398283154904590135_n.jpg

Not picking a fight but the fact you posted this thread means you don't want to quit. If you want to leave...stop it and sell everything. Sit and drink coffee as the winters return and you hear sleds running around :) The fact is you can't leave because your hooked like the rest of us. So while its fun to complain to help make it hurt less, lets be honest your staying in it :)

Well then sell everything. The first time someone roasts past your place and you are standing there with your face plastered to the window watching will be many times worse than what you are going through now.

I quit the sport in 2013 and we had the best winters ever after that! Bought a new viper in 16 and winters been #*$&@. Wife made me buy the sled because she said I was miserable as my work is somewhat seasonal and sitting around was killing me.

No pain no gain.....keep it movin'.

Posted pics are insane. But I live in Illinois and Haven't had ridable snow in 15yrs. And have to trailer 5hrs (minimum) each way.

Last edited:

Back