• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seriously thinking of quitting the sport

Well, going back to that cliff. Just burned up another starter and had to pull start it again. This time, it's drawing way more amps than it should. I jumped the terminals at the relay, it would slowly crank but the tool I was using started glowing red! It's not the relay as the LED was not staying lit but weird thing was that it would flicker when I blipped the throttle, as if it's spinning and generating it's own electricity. After a while, it stopped doing it. I have it on video.

Anyway, my season may be over if I can't figure this out. I might start a separate thread on this.

Like my dad used to say, "When it rains, it pours!" :(

Well, going back to that cliff. Just burned up another starter and had to pull start it again. This time, it's drawing way more amps than it should. I jumped the terminals at the relay, it would slowly crank but the tool I was using started glowing red! It's not the relay as the LED was not staying lit but weird thing was that it would flicker when I blipped the throttle, as if it's spinning and generating it's own electricity. After a while, it stopped doing it. I have it on video.

Anyway, my season may be over if I can't figure this out. I might start a separate thread on this.

Sorry. Maybe start a thread and we can get Grizzly to help out.

:o|#$%&*:drink:

Well my sled has not seen the outside of my garage yet. Large snowfall in Nov. Then it rained. Yard went from beautiful white to ugly green. It has snowed a bit since but still have grass sticking thru the snow. Local club has "groomed" the trail system around here. More grass than anything else. Can't even call it snirt. To top it off it was plus 4 here and I could see water draining down the street. Not sure what has changed in the Great White North. It might be Great but it sure isn't White. #$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

:letsnow: PLEASE

Well my sled has not seen the outside of my garage yet. Large snowfall in Nov. Then it rained. Yard went from beautiful white to ugly green. It has snowed a bit since but still have grass sticking thru the snow. Local club has "groomed" the trail system around here. More grass than anything else. Can't even call it snirt. To top it off it was plus 4 here and I could see water draining down the street. Not sure what has changed in the Great White North. It might be Great but it sure isn't White. #$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*#$%&*:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:o|:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

:letsnow: PLEASE

That really sucks. Might need to take a trip to the arrow head of MN or U.P. of MI. I wonder how the snow is doing out West?

I think drinking is a cheaper and easier hobby :drink:

Well I made the jump to VIP membership. Mooseman made a great point about affording the $15 and owning a sled.

Me too. Thanks to all the site admins that keep this running, to the sponsors and advertisers who help fund the operations. The least we could do as board members is participated with a membership.

Keep up the great work!

I couldn’t give up sledding if I wanted. It is my calming when I’m stressed right out. If I sold all my sleds I’m sure my wife would just go buy me another after the first storm and kick me out to go for a ride. I’m miserable without sledding. Good thing the snow is looking alright here in saskatchewan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. I have a buddy who calls when the snow is washing away, the kids have activities, etc.. I am jealous of him, as he rides way more than me (his wife tells him to go, mine tells me not to). But even the limited time I get (I do ok, about 1000 miles a season), I just love it. And I love it with the boys. Even if we aren't riding, they are thinking about it. We are tinkering. Adding stuff to the sleds, planning a route. You can not find another activity, in my opinion, that brings us together better than snowmobiling...just wish the blizzard of 78 would happen again in NH!

Last edited:
That's another thing I really miss this season. Wrenching and hanging out in the garage. Nobody's sled needs anything because they hardly had any miles on in the last two seasons.
My garage is usually full in Nov and Dec. This year it was only my sled in the garage and it sat dejected in the corner.
Even the short evening burger runs with the boys have not happened this season. These I really enjoy. Its a short 30 min ride to an A&W that is located along side the trail. Spend time BS'ing while having a pop and fries.
Then back to my garage where we enjoy some more adult bevys and solve 1st world issues.
With all the funds I have spent doing preventative maintenance to make the season stress free and enjoyable the lack of rideable snow makes the money thing hard to take. I keep sayin' to myself there is always next year.o_O

Mother Nature! We need a three day BLIZZARD.!!@!#$%^ :letsnow::letsnow::letsnow:

Every year, I trailer my snowmobile hundreds of miles to go snowmobiling even for just a few days during the winter. Snowmobiling is just too much fun to give up. My '09 Nytro RTX SE is in my will which means that I will never sell it! I do more hunting and fishing now which fills in the joy of being in the great outdoors. Each and every time I snowmobile makes for such a good time. Zooming down the trails and across fields is one of the greatest experiences even if you can only do it a few days a year.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
@MrSled , I, and I am sure many others, do appreciate your hard work and the site. I saved so much much money with the tips and info here that helped me so much. That's why I didn't hesitate to go Lifetime VIP way back. All the time and money I saved was well worth it. So you moochers out there, think of the money you saved, the info that allowed you to ride more and better, not having to bring your sled to the dealership, don't you think it's worth it? Can't afford $15 VIP? Really? I call BS because you can't afford a sled then. (Getting off my soapbox now)

Well, finally went on a ride today and I got a burnt starter in return. The relay stuck on and the starter motor just burned up. I was able to pull start it and get it back home. Luckily I kept a spare from a part out I had a few years ago and have another relay. I went and got an LED that I will wire to the relay so if this ever happens again, I will be able to save the starter.

So Tom (or shall we call you Kim Jong Un :D), please don't nuke the site. I had and still have my dark moments, including now with the starter. But because of the info on the site, I knew what the problem was and how to fix and prevent it from occurring again. Thank You.

Can i ask for a picture of what you wired in for your led every time i ride my sled from the time i start it to the time i start it after a stop i cant help but think i wonder if the starter is stuck on (im kind of a worrier) i would love to have a small light that is on when starter has power and off when it does not, just looking for ideas im no electrical engineer, but i am i life timer :yam: because this is a great site with loads more info on it than i can come close to taking in.:sled1::sled2:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Can i ask for a picture of what you wired in for your led every time i ride my sled from the time i start it to the time i start it after a stop i cant help but think i wonder if the starter is stuck on (im kind of a worrier) i would love to have a small light that is on when starter has power and off when it does not, just looking for ideas im no electrical engineer, but i am i life timer :yam: because this is a great site with loads more info on it than i can come close to taking in.:sled1::sled2:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/starter-saver-installation.101085/

Back