• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Servicing Jackshaft/Speedo bearings, Questions/Concerns

Jimdevjr

Veteran
Guys,
Haven't posted since last season. Read a few things on here, set my ski's, re-did limiter straps, went over to Dupont Hyfax, and
went out riding for the season. Love the sled. We've got an Apex too. I'd take the Nytro hands down, 10 days a week. Just me.

Anyways, I've been reading up on servicing the two bearings everybody is talking about. Jackshaft bearing and speedo (driven)
bearing. I've seen some great photos and tutorials too, but I did have one concern. I see where guys are using a dentist tool
to pick out the seals. Then clean with WD-40, grease, and replace seals. My concern is, from the photos, it appears these
bearings are sealed bearings, where that outer cover is NOT meant to come off/out?????? Am I wrong? Does the Yamaha
manual say to do this? I saw what appears to be a groove in a seal that suggests a "pry spot" but I'm just not positive.

Can someone confirm? Are these seals designed to come out, and are these bearings in fact serviceable by Yamahas Instruction?

Last one. Maybe this can be answered in the Nytro forum. Is the Apex the same deal?

Thanks Guys!!

Jim

They are sealed bearings and no the manual doesn't show anything about regreasing them. I just did mine and the jack shaft bearing had very little grease left in it at 3,000km. Just be careful not to rip the seal and it'll go back together just fine. I'm going to replace them next year anyway but atleast I know they're in good condition and have grease for the season.

For the price of a bearing and loosening two set screws, why would you not just replace it if you are in that far anyway? I seen first hand what happens if they let go while you are riding- it's not pretty!

kbrandt said:
For the price of a bearing and loosening two set screws, why would you not just replace it if you are in that far anyway? I seen first hand what happens if they let go while you are riding- it's not pretty!

I even pull the seals on new bearings. You might be suprised how little grease is in some new bearings. The seals were made to pop in(they did at the factory), you just have to pull them from the outer edge and not damage the seal lip on the inside.

The re-greasing procedure has been described couple of times over and like somebody else already said - NO, this procedure is not described nor recommended in the Yamaha workhop manual. The re-greasing procedure does improve the life of the jackshaft bearing as well as the driveshaft bearing. However, my personal opinion is that if you put the effort in, you might as well replace the bearing with a new one. At least in the case of the drive shaft bearing which comes out very easy. I can understand if people re-grease the jackshaft bearing, because this one does not come out unless you remove the entire jackshaft.

If re-greasing, please remember that the optimum amount of grease is not to fill the entire bearing with grease as this creates too much friction. You want to add more grease than the amount you find when you pop the seal, but you do not want to fill it completely.

kbrandt said:

X2 I just replace it every year, for the time it will take you to remove th seal and regrease it you'll have a new one in. Don't forget to use new set screws too...

I had low mileage and didn't have the replacemnt parts. Just wanted to add a little piece of mind that they weren't going to seize on me. If they had any indication of being worn or rusted then %100 they would have been changed.

Can someone post a link with thread on the (how to) replacement of these bearings ....one with photos would be great.

Thanks in advance

Back