• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Setting up Big Venom for 8DN

blueironranger

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper XTX
2009 Phazer MTX
Well, just about a full tank of gas into powder play this weekend my 8jp Gates Carbon decided to give up the ghost with 2000 miles on it. The carbon belt stayed together for the most part but all the rubber delaminated from main belt. It tossed me over the handlebars in the process as I was going WOT in 4' of powder at the time, only time I got stuck! I Tossed the stock 8jp on and couldn't go over 3/4 throttle without constantly bumping the limiter but work plenty well to run 50mph+ back to the truck on the trails.

With the Gates I was running 1" heal screw, 3/8 aluminum, 3/8 steel + 1 copper washer in each weigh and pulled nicely @ 8900-9000rpm
So far I've swapped the middle 3/8 alu for a 3/8 steel and that brought the 8jp down to 9100-9200 with a few taps on the limiter but I've ordered a pair of 8dn belts and picked up some washers for setting the deflection. I'm wondering if I should bother adjusting the weights any more with the 8jp in place or if the 8dn will change the rpm enough from the 8pj that I'll be back to square one with tuning. I've mainly decided to go 8DN length so all my sleds in the stable can run the same belt.

Back