• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shake down for 1000’ speed run

justin1620

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX DX
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
1999 SRX 700
1998 SRX 700
2005 Arctic Cat F7
WEBSITE
www.rustymyers.com
Hey guys…it was test day for me today. Mostly checking to make sure my octane was good enough for 19lbs boost. 1000’ ice track, soft ice, 39 degrees F. This run was in trail form with no chassis prep. Max spool 19, pump gas. The boost seemed low to me varied around 17-19…..maybe because of the warm weather I dunno. My WOT afr was 11.7. Rpm’s were 88-9000…..mostly 8800….I might bring up rpm a bit to get better speed….data log shows 124 at the 1000’ mark……I’m hoping for around 127mph come race day with sharpened studs and chassis prep…..thoughts?

Attachments

• 366A1366-AD0F-47E4-8C1F-983938B233C1.png
    366A1366-AD0F-47E4-8C1F-983938B233C1.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

127 is doable. I would keep your rpm where it is unless you need more gearing. Keep in mind I think your data log speeds are off your Speedo so you are likely a bit slower. I have had a best of 130 on ice this year in 1000 on Max 20.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 67
127 is doable. I would keep your rpm where it is unless you need more gearing. Keep in mind I think your data log speeds are off your Speedo so you are likely a bit slower. I have had a best of 130 on ice this year in 1000 on Max 20.
130 in 1000 ft is very good especially for a trail sled with a trail track...good job!

Hey guys…it was test day for me today. Mostly checking to make sure my octane was good enough for 19lbs boost. 1000’ ice track, soft ice, 39 degrees F. This run was in trail form with no chassis prep. Max spool 19, pump gas. The boost seemed low to me varied around 17-19…..maybe because of the warm weather I dunno. My WOT afr was 11.7. Rpm’s were 88-9000…..mostly 8800….I might bring up rpm a bit to get better speed….data log shows 124 at the 1000’ mark……I’m hoping for around 127mph come race day with sharpened studs and chassis prep…..thoughts?

I see timing being retarded earlier in the run (pink line). What's the amount of retard earlier in the run bring pulled? And why is it being pulled? Not good for power production!

I see timing being retarded earlier in the run (pink line). What's the amount of retard earlier in the run bring pulled? And why is it being pulled? Not good for power production!
the most that was pulled was 0.7 degrees of timing. Not sure if it was a fuel issue my pressure was set at 44psi with the larger pump and AFR was 11.7 so that seems fine. No header, no closed loop (yet)........Good question Knapp

Last edited:
the most that was pulled was 0.7 degrees of timing. Not sure if it was a fuel issue my pressure was set at 44psi with the larger pump and AFR was 11.7 so that seems fine. No header, no closed loop (yet) and no fancy wastegate mods...just the simple gap flasher with the bundle... Good question Knapp

How long was timing being pulled? From the looks of it it started early in the run and ramped down, but you are only showing the last little bit of the run here so hard to see how the whole run looked.

Myself, I wouldn't want any timing being pulled at all, its robbing the power... What's the A/F earlier in the run? I'd either up the octane or get some more fuel in it earlier in the run, which from the sounds if it you are limited in that aspect.

You're not using anti-lag at all are you? I've seen anti-lag pull major timing early in the run which is self defeating.... I'd like to see your whole run to see what's happening, but I don't run TD stuff so cant see it on my phone, you would have to see a pic of it to see how much its costing you in performance.

How long was timing being pulled? From the looks of it it started early in the run and ramped down, but you are only showing the last little bit of the run here so hard to see how the whole run looked.

Myself, I wouldn't want any timing being pulled at all, its robbing the power... What's the A/F earlier in the run? I'd either up the octane or get some more fuel in it earlier in the run, which from the sounds if it you are limited in that aspect.

You're not using anti-lag at all are you? I've seen anti-lag pull major timing early in the run which is self defeating.... I'd like to see your whole run to see what's happening, but I don't run TD stuff so cant see it on my phone, you would have to see a pic of it to see how much its costing you in performance.
Im not sure what the AFR was earlier in the run. I just have a standalone guage on the dash and checked it while crossing the finish line. Had to keep my eyes on the track lol. My next mod is closed loop so i can better monitor my afr and for safety. I have anti lag but I dont use it for speed runs. It pulled timing for 5 seconds total...0.3 degrees, 0.5, 0.7 and back down.

Last edited:

27706E56-CD22-4E2D-B3A6-1F5BDDB8C7BF.jpeg

Max 19 makes more top speed, but I think Max 20 might be better in 1000ft. Test both and datalog.

Do you have a ram air? If not, put one. It will raise AFR a little and make more boost to boot.

Add octane to 96 and lower your FPR till you get 12.3 AFR.

If it helps, I priced one together on eBay for like $70 bucks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240214_224509465~2.jpg
    PXL_20240214_224509465~2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Max 19 makes more top speed, but I think Max 20 might be better in 1000ft. Test both and datalog.

Do you have a ram air? If not, put one. It will raise AFR a little and make more boost to boot.

Add octane to 96 and lower your FPR till you get 12.3 AFR.
Appreciate the input Fleecer…I’ll try those out and see how it goes

Agree with Mike .7 is too much timing being pulled. Do you have your ping counter on?
Not going to hurt to up your fuel pressure, I'm guessing you should be at least 47/48 key on if not 49.
Might be just a tad heavy in the primary causing the all of the for mentioned issues also.

Agree with Mike .7 is too much timing being pulled. Do you have your ping counter on?
Not going to hurt to up your fuel pressure, I'm guessing you should be at least 47/48 key on if not 49.
Might be just a tad heavy in the primary causing the all of the for mentioned issues also.
My knock ping counter is on and showed zero the entire run. 44psi key on is what TD recommended with the larger pump for that tune but I’m open and appreciate all suggestions. I added boostane to premium to give me 97octane. I’m going to hopefully get out today for a few pulls and make some minor changes….I’d like to see a more steady 9000 instead of 88-8900. I have a tad heavier primary spring I might try if I don’t pull the ramps and remove some weight. It was pulling 9000-9100 on max spool 17 with more twist in my secondary a few weeks ago but my top speed was lower….my goal with this pump gas setup is 127 in 1000’ and I think I should be close on a prepped shaved ice track….this warm weather isn’t helping the ice conditions however…..it’s getting soft

Last edited:
My knock ping counter is on and showed zero the entire run. 44psi key on is what TD recommended with the larger pump for that tune but I’m open and appreciate all suggestions. I added boostane to premium to give me 97octane. I’m going to hopefully get out today for a few pulls and make some minor changes….I’d like to see a more steady 9000 instead of 88-8900. I have a tad heavier primary spring I might try if I don’t pull the ramps and remove some weight. It was pulling 9000-9100 on max spool 17 with more twist in my secondary a few weeks ago but my top speed was lower….my goal with this pump gas setup is 127 in 1000’ and I think I should be close on a prepped shaved ice track….this warm weather isn’t helping the ice conditions however…..it’s getting soft
Cold tomorrow.

Put the cursor on the top of the pink timing retard, its pulling a little quick when you stab the throttle, then as you get in the run it pulls it tries to add it back in then pulls it again, then finally gives you back all your timing on the end of the run, the whole time you are WOT, I think you have a fuel map issue where you have a couple really minor holes. 0.7 is not a ton of power, however if you were knocking due to fuel octane it would be persistent and pull much more retard. So I think you are safe on octane.

Back