• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

She's fat

Snowman11

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
06 Apex GT
I've been playing with it last few days , just doing a check over cause I had it in 1000 peice last spring doing the donuts and new bearings in skid and general preventive maintenance.... But the last few days I've noticed she smells rich , idle is not bad , but not perfect ,sometimes she will pop (very small from the intake) if I'm playing with the rpms while she's still mildly cold ... I recently yesterday had to up the idle from 1100 to about 1600 .. and I never noticed it that low last year the "IAC black knob" worked fine , took a few good turns but worked .. I'm currently checking all connections around that or the air box , and nothing obvious.. but. How Do I know if she's actually running fat or Its just cause it's warm and I'm playing in the garage ?? Any help , cause I'm bout ready to tear into it looking for an issuie

Edit : took the gauge pod off . And she just smells rich , no leaks no actual "fuel" anywhere , just can smell it alot.. and she's burning threw it pretty quick just playing in the garage .. , could be all in my head ??, but I know a what a rich engine smells like

Last edited:

these sleds run rich to begin with and then they are set to run on cold air that has more oxygen in it per cubic ft so when running it in the garage on a warm day it will be rich add to it that I think you may have run it a few times and have not been able to take it for a ride to "clear it out" and get to true running temp it will smell rich for that reason too. Best thing you can do is not start it again until you can actually take it for a ride to get some rpms on the motor and achieve true running temps and see if it still has issues.

Your plugs maybe close to being shot. If you start those Apexs and then shut them off on multiple different occasions during the off season without letting them get up to operating temperature they will foul their plugs. I found that out the hard way. I don’t start my attack unless it’s going to get to full temp. I also change the plugs before the start of every season. It’s worth the $20. I know it’s hard to resist starting them up and hearing the sweet sound of those afterburners.... but resist the urge. Or get good at changing the plugs.

Honestly both of u guys are spot on ... I've been doing all of that , and prolly not running her enough to say so for good temps and foulin out the plugs ,plus warm weather ... i try to let it get warm as possible , so I don't foul them , but I've started it prolly 10 times in the last 3 days , I just tend to get anal about my. Yami ... Haha , thanks anyway guys !! I'll clean the plugs and put her up untill I can get it out and clear her throat real good.. I may lean it out anyway come snowfall ,once I get a good few runs out of it. as Ive read alot they tend to run rich to begain with.. from what I've read usually -5 or -10 ish on the CO ? Or if she's running good is it not best to fix what ain't broke

Last edited:
So flash forward to some cold weather ( 30°f) ,fresh gas and cleaned the plugs .... I had to back the idle back down from when I bumped it up fee weeks ago , no more rich running and much snappier thottle response like I remember ... I attribute it to old fuel and warm days, I guess that's what I get for playing to early ..... Hurry up snow !!

Back