• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shocks

Dara

Expert
How do I tell if they need rebuilding or the springs are weak.
I have a 2012 Vector with standard Yamaha shocks on it.
About 13,000 miles and nothing done to them.
It feels ok to ride but seems to sit a bit low right now.
A mechanic said I should get the shocks rebuilt.
I took them off this week, fronts and rear suspension.
Took the springs off the fronts and when I push in on the piston against the workbench they slowly ease closed, when I release they slowly come back out.
I can't get the spring off the rear to try it.
Really how hard should I have to push to close the piston and how fast should it come back.
Or with that many miles do I just go ahead and get them rebuilt
And where in Ontario is a good place.

Edit, when taking springs off they were fully loose when I had about 3/4 inch of thread left on the shock

Thanks all, winter is coming

at that millage the oil is worn out. they need a rebuild. don't know who to use north of the border sorry. Lucky to have a site vendor about an hour from home here.

i will pm you the guy i have used here in ontario if you like. as you are in soo, you could pop across and ship them to cannondale. i love the set of gytr's that he did for me last season on my 2016 xtx.

that milage, the gas pressure is down in the for sure and the oil is burnt in them. i did not belive in it eitheruntil i got a set of olins serviced for my old rx war by a local guy that only replaces oil and nitrogen charge. it made a huge difference.

If your a hard charging rider or A heavy guy,I would. 13,000 miles on A set of springs that spend all that time in harsh conditions it is very possible that they are not what they once were. If you store your sled flat on the ground instead of lifting the weight off the springs for storage ,7 years of just holding the machine weight can take its toll on them as well.

Last edited:
springs should be ok with shocks re done. 11 apex still is on the nitro xtx torsion springs i put on it 10000mi ago and all the rest of the springs are the same from when i bought it and the gytr's where used. sled had 27000km on it atm.

Last edited:
MaIm, those shocks were used when I bought them in 07 for my Attak. I personally put 20,000+ miles on those shocks!

Those ones are on the 2016 xtx viper_dave and they are set good as I did not change a setting once I installed them.

The ones on the 11 are a set a guy ran 1 season with while waiting for his factory Olin’s to get warenteed. Been on there 5 seasons and 1 set of a arms with only a service once.

My spare set of gytr came from a guys project box and all he knew about them was what they fit. Ran them 2 seasons before a service and brother put a season on them on his venture. Still in good shape.

As viper_dave can attest, I launch or hold the nose up on the sled on every knoll or bump I can on a ride. Discovered servicing them late in the game and it is way better than replacing them.

Back