• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shootout @Woodgate NY

whats the lug & length on the track on the 1000? seems like the crossover had better traction. in lose or meely snow, you have to figure weight & depending on traction is what brought the lower ETs for all of them.

the 1000 has a 1" hacksaw on it.It's a128"x14".The r sleds where designed for lake racing.Hopefully yamaha will take note and offer a apex r model with some differnt features for lake racing.

I was there like I am every year, (close to my house). I was also surprized how poorly the APEX ran. It was the best last year in the unlimited class. They also let the new V-teck Ski-Doo 4-stroke run in the 600 class, even though it has 1200 cc. I guess the horsepower is in the 600 class range. It ran respectable. Its best run was 12.2 @ 88 MPH in the 1/4 mile. About the same as the Nytro. The Ski Doo V-tech and the Nytro were very consistant, they both ran 87 or 88 MPH in each of there 4 runs. These two sleds were the fastest and quickest of the 600 class.

Didn't the Apex run around a 12 second 1/4 last season? Almost a ditto of what the SRX did one year. I realize this is a different season, but how could they do so poorly with the Apex? The Nytro and the Apex had almost identical runs.......pretty lame. Was it our favorite Big Moose again? Maybe the driver let off the throttle a bit. I'm sure they didn't want Yamaha winning both classes AGAIN.

pro116 said:
sledfreak did you see the corssfire r1000 et's on grass they where unreal.
The sled is fast.

No, but I knew when they realease it, it would be a force to be reckoned with. I can't believe that sled only has a 1" track and it goes that good in soft snow.

apex06 said:
time to get rid of the apex and buy a cat...either the 800 or the 1000!

with some tuning on the apex you can make them run don't give your hopees up.I bet you the apex will be upgraded for next year.

journeyman said:
Didn't the Apex run around a 12 second 1/4 last season? Almost a ditto of what the SRX did one year. I realize this is a different season, but how could they do so poorly with the Apex? The Nytro and the Apex had almost identical runs.......pretty lame. Was it our favorite Big Moose again? Maybe the driver let off the throttle a bit. I'm sure they didn't want Yamaha winning both classes AGAIN.

There is no conspiracy...I was there, it is what it is. The conditions were different than in years past. The track was semi packed powder similar to what you see on the trail. In years past they didn't have as much snow. We all know the Apex has a pretty hard time putting the power to the ground especially in somewhat loose snow. That 1000cc Cat was flying...don't line up against one unless you add some Nitrous, Turbo, or S/C. Any other mods you make won't give you enough to beat that Cat. The 1000cc Cat would have beat all of the other 800's and Apex by over 200 feet if they were side by side. That Cat that they ran is pretty much designed to be a lake racer. The 800 CC cat would have beat the Apex by about 7 or 8 lengths and still pulling away.

Box stock the Cat flies. You can't do much to an Apex when It comes to dealer prep...they are set up pretty good from the factory...as was the Cat.

...and by the way, what do you think that you can do within the rules of the shootout that would make it faster than the dealer prepped sled??? Clutching??? Not going to make that much of a difference from what they already did. Remember, you only get two stock runs and then two dealer prep runs. Pretty hard to tune in your clutching for those conditions with just two runs. You don't get to just go out and test your crap in between.

It's time to just face the fact that all the other sleds have caught up and surpassed the 4 year old technology that hasn't been improved upon since 2006 with the Apex.

By the way, the #'s on the 800 cat posted above are wrong...I was there.

See next post for accurate #'s (I think).

Box Stock run is first number and dealer prep is second number

600 Class
Arctic Cat -
14.1@81
13.6@84

Ski-Doo E-Tec -
14.1@84
13.4@85

Yamaha
13.4@87
13.1@88

Polaris -
13.8@84
14.0@88

Ski-Doo 1200 -
13.7@87
13.2@88

800 class -

Arctic Cat CrossFire R -
12.6@93
12.5@97

Ski-Doo -
13.0@93
12.3@97

Yamaha Apex -
13.1@91
12.7@92

Polaris -
12.9@93
12.4@96
Dragon 800 did a incredable launch on first run, stood straight up and ridder almost lost it and still pulled 93 mph. Pic will most likely be front cover of AMSNOW's shootout edition.

Open Stock Class

Z1 Turbo
12.5@95
12.3@97

CrossFire R 1000
11.6@103
11.5@105

Steve, even if it was, I doudbt it will have much for the Crossfire R. I knew that sled would be a drag racer when they announced it. The 03 F7 still dominates or does at least very well in the 700 and 800 class..

oh for sure...I've been thinking cat (again) but a ride this weekend and seeing my bud's crossfire crisp a piston gave me a partial reality check...
I'm interested in the turbo tho..

I just seen some pics of the XFR1000 on HCS and it showed it leaving the line on dirt, which means it would have had alot better tration. I'm not saying that was the reason it did so well, but it probably helped getting traction.

Back