• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I Be Concerned

steiner

Staff member
Chatting with the boys the other day that were with me when I had my accident. One of the guys mentioned that my sled was still running while laying on its side. My guess that it was for a few minutes. I thot it would have turned off as it rolled but I guess the handguards prevented the kill switch from touching the trail. Is there anything I should be concerned about? There was no oil leaking out from anywhere and the oil level is spot on.

For me on Japan Yamahas it was always left side rolls that caused oil spill or pump cavitation. I think you are fine. Probably was shut off sooner than you think also. Time stands still when things like that happen. Just glad your ok.

For me on Japan Yamahas it was always left side rolls that caused oil spill or pump cavitation. I think you are fine. Probably was shut off sooner than you think also. Time stands still when things like that happen. Just glad your ok.
It was laying on the oil pan side. It remained there for a few minutes because the guy that rolled the sled back over and drove it to the side of the trail was the same guy that tended to me while I was knocked out. He only went to my sled after I was safely off to the side of the trail.
Very glad and fortunate to be walking and talking still. Very thankful for the quality of gear I was wearing. That TekVest did amazing things for me that day as well as my helmet.

should be no issues. gf flipped the 11 on its left side last year on last ride and once i got it re primed i have had no issues.

Just glad you are OK

It was laying on the oil pan side. It remained there for a few minutes because the guy that rolled the sled back over and drove it to the side of the trail was the same guy that tended to me while I was knocked out. He only went to my sled after I was safely off to the side of the trail.
Very glad and fortunate to be walking and talking still. Very thankful for the quality of gear I was wearing. That TekVest did amazing things for me that day as well as my helmet.
Definetly glad your ok, i bought a leatt vest& this is my 2nd season wearing it, honestly dont even know your wearing it once you get used to it& its got a built in back/ kidney belt which has helped with long day comfort, i wont ride without it now& although i still get some funny looks at restaurants etc im seeing more people wearing them& figure the more protection the better

FXR asked to contact me via the RCMP when they saw the story. The officer forwarded the contact info to me.
I did reach out to them but have had no response from them. Really interested on how they design the helmets as this one did incredible things that day.
My sled faired better than me that day.$200 in broken plastics and $100 in broken hand guards. Myself costs are $400 TekVest, $500 helmet, $400 jacket and 6 weeks off work.
Had the sled running in the garage today. All seems to be working fine. No flashing lights and no bad sounds from the crank.

If you play your cards right FXR may allow you to participate in their "Helmet Exchange Program". If I worked for them I'd want your helmet and story for marketing.

Its not about playing my cards right. I think they make a great product. My helmet is proof of that. If they would like the helmet for R&D or display purposes thats great.
I would just ask for a replacement then or I will just keep it as a trophy and reminder.

When you change oil drain the oil through a coffee filter and cut filter apart and see if you find any metal.

Last edited:
You're fine on engine, if you lost no oil then you had plenty of pressure. Glad you and the sled made it through!! I have crashed twice now (only times in my life) in the last couple years both times not really sure what caused it. Stuff happens quick and a good reminder to remain vigilant and focused while riding, I think I was getting too cocky not paying enough attention. I have built my Apex to kill me, and that is the fun, sort of like bull riding, but it was a good reminder that I need to treat it like a loaded gun! Surprisingly I had zero PTSD afterwards from both. The sidewinder has been broken and ruined so many trips I think it distracted me. When I got my apex running this again for first time since 2017 I had to break in the new engine with lots of throttle and I didn't skip a beat! That is good, you can't be hesitant on a rocket ship! Get back on that horse next year and have fun!

Back