• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I buy and swap parts,accessories or keep?

CaptCaper

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector XTX 1.25 Lug wifes..2013 RS Vector LTX.. 2003 600 VMax Past Machines 3-2007 Attaks 1-2010 Vector LTX.. sorry no Stinkdoos or poo's cats.
I have a 07 Attak GT with 8k miles. I have a chance to buy a 07 Attak GT with 2200 miles for $ 3700 us. This has a cooler with protectors, studs and patter recommended by Woodys for this model. Other then that totally stock. Mine has the beefed up pivot arms,newer replaceable bearing wheels, SS ypipes, Yamaheater, tank bag, gps mounts etc, I have and can switch over the ypipes,etc. no problem.
I was thinking I could do the swap and sell mine ... So I would end up with a low mileage machine again for short change. The labor isn't too big a deal. My time isn't worth much.

What do you think I should so. Oh the neighbor is an older guy and took care of it. Garage,etc. And I can pay him low monthly installments until I sell my machine etc.

I understand your thinking but to me 8k is low miles (for Yamaha) sure not as low obviously as the 2200 miles. But hey it's your call. I say go for it.

Your sled is barely broke in. save your money and when a 2011 or newer comes along you can transfer most of that to it. You will also be able to feel the big difference in the sled well worth the upgrade then. if you had 18,000 miles maybe but I would still tell you to get a newer one it is worth it 100%.

I would love the newer one but the money is the issue. When we get to 10k many here report the driveshaft goes. Also possibly stator, drive bearings and chassis possible problems. It's easy for me to deal with swapping my wanted extras and parts over and offing my machine.

Those can happen true. They could happen to the one that has been sitting as well. some have the problems you mention most do not drive shaft is a result of stress studs and jumping the sled. I had 17000 on my 07 and had none of those issues.
Stator is the trigger that can fail and is a cheap easy fix for it. drive bearings are quite easy to do and you seem capable of swinging a wrench on your sled. I am saying I would not spend the money to end up with same sled in a couple years the 2011's will be allot cheaper too. I do get your point and yours could still fetch most or all of what you are buying the other one for. It will keep you in a sled for a longer time as well. I think if it feels good to you go for it you will have a sled worth more with little to no investment in the end.

Those can happen true. They could happen to the one that has been sitting as well. some have the problems you mention most do not drive shaft is a result of stress studs and jumping the sled. I had 17000 on my 07 and had none of those issues.
Stator is the trigger that can fail and is a cheap easy fix for it. drive bearings are quite easy to do and you seem capable of swinging a wrench on your sled. I am saying I would not spend the money to end up with same sled in a couple years the 2011's will be allot cheaper too. I do get your point and yours could still fetch most or all of what you are buying the other one for. It will keep you in a sled for a longer time as well. I think if it feels good to you go for it you will have a sled worth more with little to no investment in the end.

Great reply... I'm on the fence...of buying newer as well... I would love the Apex 2011 up but I have a winch I carry on the back and the newer exhaust style prohibit's it. The RS Vector has the same style as my Attak and for that if I would go to the 3 cyl. RS Vector LTX or XTX at some point for sure.. I'm 68 yrs old in decent shape for today anyway..ha..I'd have to take a small loan for a newer sled.. that weighs at it as well.

I agree, I wouldn't swap just to lower miles. You know what you have too, you don't know what you'll get. Look at my situation! LOL. Seriously though, you have a good machine that you know is reliable and set up how you want it. I'd stay with that and move up a few years when you can.

As long as you have your's running and decked out the way you want ! I would keep it. Now for around a $ 1000 you could redo your sled and turn it into something newer.
Clutch kit
Graphics kit ( wrap )
Shocks revalved in front . In the back have the Hygear dual rate spring installed.
Maybe new Snowtracker carbides on stock ski's , Lighter more positive turning .
Add 2" of foam to seat, easy to do !

It will look newer, ride and handle better and you know what you got !

Then take that saved $ 2700.00 and start saving for a new Sidewinder!:jump:

I have time to hash this all out. I would like to get into a rs vector xtx.. Vector only because I can carry my winch on the back. The Apex's 11 on has the exhaust too much to the inside. Plus she gets great mileage. I ride with my wife during the week and never see anyone.. been stuck bad over the years a few times and the winch saved us.. I made a real nice one.. portable to use on hers (she has my old one .) or mine.
RS XTX will be hard to find.. not many out there and they stopped making them. I see 1.75 tracks but I ride groomed trails all the time.

Last edited:
Got any pics of that winch setup?[/QUOTE

I can take a few..but years ago I bought a Warn Sno-Winch... saved my butt a couple of times.. 1500#lb pull..but I thought why not make my own but with more pulling power for a really bad situation with our heavy machine...and give this one to the wife? So I made a pattern to fit a Warn 2500lb. Had the local shop make a plate from 3/16 steel and drill the holes.. I bought some webbing and HD shackles..I have an industrial machine so I sewed the webbing up..
I also bout a 20 series AGM so would have extra amps in case.. and surer then shitting I got stuck real bad early last winter in very very deep snow and mud on Trio Pond's banking in Groveton. Long story cut short.. I had to dig down thru the snow to get the winch off the back end ..lashed down with bungees buried deep it was. hooked up the winch ..ran the line up the banking to a tree across the trail.. got me out with some throttle help.. no one there to help but the wife.. I also used Anderson 50 amp power pole connectors like Warn uses.. with 8ga wiring..
Check out Sno Winch on utube etc and you'll see how it works.. I made a cover for it with my machine as well. It will hook either front or back of the Attak. Like I said just like the SnoWinch. But more heavy duty.. probably a bit cheaper as well.

But the winch is mounted to the sled? I'd think it would rip right off.

No not mounted... best to utube sno winch their are demo's on it. super winch has one but it's not as good as Warn's winches ..I had one and returned it.

I understand your thinking but to me 8k is low miles (for Yamaha) sure not as low obviously as the 2200 miles. But hey it's your call. I say go for it.

I went for it... easy to swap over stuff.. like SS ypipes,beefed up seat with firm foam,gps mount,yamaheater,extra fuse box,saddlebags,tank bag and I'm done and this machine was well kept and price is great ...$3700..starts up strong. Better then my current one..which never had a strong start to it. My first 07 Attak did. This new one has a new cooler with protectors for studs. New woody's 3.125's in their patter. New Duraflex cable scratchers, garaged. 2770 miles.

Back