• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I replace my front shocks?

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
I picked up a 09 Apex at the end of the year and going over the sled and doing some upgrades. I have not rode the sled yet but thinking if I can purchase a set of used front shocks I might want to consider. I see this sled came with Fox floating shocks and also a pigging back style. Should I consider upgrading my current shocks and if so with what ones or should I just rebuild my current shocks? Is it worth upgrading?

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 136

the fox floats for those years usually sucked on the front unless some one has made an up dated kit/set up for the front that i do not know about.

most guys went with gytr fronts for the compression and rebound adjustments. this is what i run on both my apex's but be for warned that some of the parts are no longer availible. love them.

there was olins availible as well with only compression adjustment (i memory serves). the ones i had on the rx i sold my brother where awsome.

then there is the olins single resevoir set up that came on the 2018 apex sleds. felt good to me when i rode agmans xtx but cannot tell you how long they last as never owned a sled with them on it.

stock coilovers ride well with custom valving and regular service.

cannondale is an awesome guy to get your shocks done with and he services pretty much anything i think.

if you find a good deal, it is a worth while up grade but a good valving job and service is probably the most economical way. if i remeber right, i think i paid $35.00 a shock for service. when you get a re valve, a service is included in the price.

So I will most likely either stay with current shocks or upgrade to the GYRT shocks. My questions is would it be worth it to upgrade or just have my current shocks rebuilt and valved?

Cannondale did my 09 Apex front shocks. Very impressed with the ride. You can update and buy better but the refresh was well worth it.

well i did see a set of gytr in the classifieds. if they where refreshed within the last season or so, they should be good for at least 2000 mi before a service was needed. i personally am usually good for 2 to 2.5 seasons between service depending on milage.

i would price the re valve for the type of riding you plan on doing vs the price on the used up graded shocks.

So I just found out a co-worker has a set of GYRT shocks he took off a Apex and just talked to him and he will sell them to me for $50 for the set. I am working from home this week but asked him to bring them to work on Monday and I would talk them. sounds to good to be true but I will see on Monday. I will then send them out to have them rebuilt right away and then sell my stock shocks.

that is a really good deal. i keep my stock ones to put in when i send out a set for servicing.

Picked shocks up today. $50 for the pair. Will most likely sell my stock ones

Attachments

• shocks.jpg
    shocks.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 115
Picked shocks up today. $50 for the pair. Will most likely sell my stock ones
Hope he doesn’t see this but wow you literally stole them at that price!!

That was a steal!!!!!

Shocks all off and ready to send out to be rebuilt. Suspension taken apart and going to have sand blasted and then powder coated

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 98
Old shocks off sled time to sell them

Attachments