• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shredded a belt today

MitchRS

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 RS Venture GT
I was out riding during lunch time and went onto an in land lake which had some pretty deep snow. I could feel the belt slipping as I wasn't able to accelerate very quickly, revs went up but I wasn't moving any quicker. Do venture's typically not perform very well in deep snow?

I took a couple pictures of my clutches and shredded belt. I'm trying to figure out what would cause it to slip in deep snow and if the slippage is possibly due to having some snow entering through the top of the shroud where the vent is located?

Maybe someone can spot something i'm not seeing also? The belt is flush with the secondary sheave which I believe is within spec, It's my first time really dealing with CVT's.

Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• Clutch Belt (2).jpg
    Clutch Belt (2).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Clutch 1 (2).jpg
    Clutch 1 (2).jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Clutch 2 (2).jpg
    Clutch 2 (2).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 55

its not anything you did wrong. brothers did the same thing. the ventures are clutched for comfort witch causes the belt to slip more and cooks the belt. snow dust might have helped it slipped but the way they are cluched is most likely the issue. we re clutched my brothers and it was much easier on the belt as well as having snappier performance.

talk to the guys at thunder products and they can help you get it straightened out and running better.

its not anything you did wrong. brothers did the same thing. the ventures are clutched for comfort witch causes the belt to slip more and cooks the belt. snow dust might have helped it slipped but the way they are cluched is most likely the issue. we re clutched my brothers and it was much easier on the belt as well as having snappier performance.

talk to the guys at thunder products and they can help you get it straightened out and running better.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into it.

An old belt will do the same. Mine ended up like yours. I replaced it with a new one and its been going strong for a while now. Every three years I replace my belt now.

An old belt will do the same. Mine ended up like yours. I replaced it with a new one and its been going strong for a while now. Every three years I replace my belt now.
It might have been an old belt since I don't know the age of it. I haven't gone back on that lake since I don't have a spare belt anymore but I ordered 2 and will have them by Friday and then I'll see if it still slips in deep snow.

I was out riding during lunch time and went onto an in land lake which had some pretty deep snow. I could feel the belt slipping as I wasn't able to accelerate very quickly, revs went up but I wasn't moving any quicker. Do venture's typically not perform very well in deep snow?

I took a couple pictures of my clutches and shredded belt. I'm trying to figure out what would cause it to slip in deep snow and if the slippage is possibly due to having some snow entering through the top of the shroud where the vent is located?

Maybe someone can spot something i'm not seeing also? The belt is flush with the secondary sheave which I believe is within spec, It's my first time really dealing with CVT's.

Thanks again everyone
Ya, they do eat belts especially after being on the throttle hard for an extended time in deeper snow. Also, your clutches are badly corroded, and you may want to take some sandpaper and clean the clutch faces, as will help with belt slippage.

Ya, they do eat belts especially after being on the throttle hard for an extended time in deeper snow. Also, your clutches are badly corroded, and you may want to take some sandpaper and clean the clutch faces, as will help with belt slippage.
Thanks for the response. I'll clean the surfaces up today.
But for the most part, what I'm understanding is that I need to get my self a second sled... a Viper for that matter lol

Back