• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder B-TX, problems with a gearbox, please help

VodkaBear

Country
Russia
Snowmobile
Yamaha Sidewinder B-TX 2020
Hello and greetings from snowy Russia.
Please, help me with my SW’s gearbox.

During a routine gearbox fluid change I accidentally installed a reverse shift actuator incorrectly - rotating it clockwise instead of counterclockwise.
After assembling I started my engine and checked the reverse, but after pressing reverse button an alarm code ‘’sd_26’’ immediately lit on the dash.
I found an original English manual, realized my mistake and assembled the whole thing correctly.

But now a strange thing happening: during Idle first pressing of the reverse button causes nothing but an alarm code (no sounds from the gearbox). Then I press the reverse button again - and now the shift actuator moves into reverse, beep sounds and everything (forward and reverse) works correctly, but the alarm code does not disappear from my dash until shutting the engine.

But when I shut off the engine (when stationary and at the forward position of the gearbox), the last moment I clearly hear my gearbox shifting into the reverse, and when I turn the ignition on and start the engine again - my sled is in the reverse position, beeping. No alarm code so far, but when pressing reverse button again everything repeats: first pressing - no reaction and alarm code appears, second pressing - shifts into forward, beeping shuts off and sled works perfectly during all riding session, including reverse, but with the alarm code constantly blinking on the dash.

I tried disconnecting the battery for extended time, reinstalling the actuator - not helping.

Attachments

• 22C0C750-2E39-46D3-831F-372C35CC0656.jpeg
    22C0C750-2E39-46D3-831F-372C35CC0656.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 279CCD5C-00A4-4290-B062-E256AFBB49B5.jpeg
    279CCD5C-00A4-4290-B062-E256AFBB49B5.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 310

Before inserting shift gear on case make sure gear with fork on it is all the way over towards the tunnel then install shift gear and actuator.

Before inserting shift gear on case make sure gear with fork on it is all the way over towards the tunnel then install shift gear and actuator.
I have already done it, sir, disassembling and then assembling the gearbox properly.
Gearbox by itself works fine, but when shutting off the engine the gearbox simultaneously shifts into reverse. When I turn ignition again, the gearbox is constantly beeping and the track moves backwards when accelerating, but pressing the reverse button causes nothing but the alarm code, corresponding to the reverse failure.
Then the third pressing of the button shifts into the forward, beeping disappears and gearbox is working properly during the whole riding, shifting forward-reverse every time with one pressing of the button (as it should), but the alarm code does not disappear from the dash.
But when engine is shut off and then started again, everything repeats - switching into reverse by itself and etc.
Please, help, my fellow American friends, our local Russian snowmobiling community is unable to solve my problem.

Attachments

• 72697510-1D27-4DBA-B9B4-A4BFAA48D9A0.jpeg
    72697510-1D27-4DBA-B9B4-A4BFAA48D9A0.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 331
The fuse and relay box is in the nose of the sled. Each shift fwd and reverse ha its own relay.
Also underneath the fuse box the wires can rub and short out on the bracket.

The fuse and relay box is in the nose of the sled. Each shift fwd and reverse ha its own relay.
Also underneath the fuse box the wires can rub and short out on the bracket.
I will check them closely, thanks for your advice.
But it looks to me more like some kind of a software glitch, not a hardware problem or bad electric connection.

I had a relay go bad on mine before.
It would shift into reverse and stay in reverse.
The only way I would get it into forward was to remove electric motor and turn gear to shift back into fwd. Replacing the relay for forward shift fixed it.

Hello and greetings from snowy Russia.
Please, help me with my SW’s gearbox.

During a routine gearbox fluid change I accidentally installed a reverse shift actuator incorrectly - rotating it clockwise instead of counterclockwise.
After assembling I started my engine and checked the reverse, but after pressing reverse button an alarm code ‘’sd_26’’ immediately lit on the dash.
I found an original English manual, realized my mistake and assembled the whole thing correctly.

But now a strange thing happening: during Idle first pressing of the reverse button causes nothing but an alarm code (no sounds from the gearbox). Then I press the reverse button again - and now the shift actuator moves into reverse, beep sounds and everything (forward and reverse) works correctly, but the alarm code does not disappear from my dash until shutting the engine.

But when I shut off the engine (when stationary and at the forward position of the gearbox), the last moment I clearly hear my gearbox shifting into the reverse, and when I turn the ignition on and start the engine again - my sled is in the reverse position, beeping. No alarm code so far, but when pressing reverse button again everything repeats: first pressing - no reaction and alarm code appears, second pressing - shifts into forward, beeping shuts off and sled works perfectly during all riding session, including reverse, but with the alarm code constantly blinking on the dash.

I tried disconnecting the battery for extended time, reinstalling the actuator - not helping.
SD-26 has nothing to do with the reverse that I'm aware of.

Lots of SD-26 threads on the Sidewinder page. Not as much action on the Mountain Sidewinder thread. "Air-intake sensor". This has been caused and resolved by multiple things. Boost leak, tighten all clamps. Reversed hoses at boost sensor. Also those hoses at the sensor could be iced up. Loose turbo mounting bolts, and aftermarket exhaust might cause that.

Could be the wire rub through under the fuse box which would analogous to a "software issue". This might explain the coincidence of a Reverse problem when getting SD-26 code. Worth checking. Could be the relays. Try taking them all out and getting them warmed up inside and reinstalling.

As for the reverse could be the actuator itself. The internal grease tends to get gummed up jamming them and damaging them. Early versions had a plastic clock gear that got worn teeth and guys "reclocked" them (rotated large white gear to quadrant with fresh undamaged teeth). My own actuator went bad and had a metal gear so dealer replaced the actuator.

I believe someone somewhere sells a screwdriver like shaft set up that allows deleting the reverse actuator. I only posted the BOP thing as pointer in that direction and emergency fix idea.

This reminds me of the time that I found a gear, in Russia, to fix my Brother laser printer. I paid under a dollar for the gear, and 9 dollars in shipping and used that printer for several more years.

Good luck

SD-26 has nothing to do with the reverse that I'm aware of.
My mistake, this error code (sd_26) was caused by free flow exhaust can I installed. Solved already.
It’s sd_08 I’m talking about, reverse malfunction.

Lots of SD-26 threads on the Sidewinder page. Not as much action on the Mountain Sidewinder thread. "Air-intake sensor". This has been caused and resolved by multiple things. Boost leak, tighten all clamps. Reversed hoses at boost sensor. Also those hoses at the sensor could be iced up. Loose turbo mounting bolts, and aftermarket exhaust might cause that.

Could be the wire rub through under the fuse box which would analogous to a "software issue". This might explain the coincidence of a Reverse problem when getting SD-26 code. Worth checking. Could be the relays. Try taking them all out and getting them warmed up inside and reinstalling.

As for the reverse could be the actuator itself. The internal grease tends to get gummed up jamming them and damaging them. Early versions had a plastic clock gear that got worn teeth and guys "reclocked" them (rotated large white gear to quadrant with fresh undamaged teeth). My own actuator went bad and had a metal gear so dealer replaced the actuator.

I believe someone somewhere sells a screwdriver like shaft set up that allows deleting the reverse actuator. I only posted the BOP thing as pointer in that direction and emergency fix idea.

This reminds me of the time that I found a gear, in Russia, to fix my Brother laser printer. I paid under a dollar for the gear, and 9 dollars in shipping and used that printer for several more years.

Good luck
Thank you, I’ll try checking those relays.
BTW, reverse actuator of my sled has already “died”, I had it checked, it turned out that lubricating grease melted due to high temperatures and soiled the servomotor ‘’brushes”, ruining the conductivity.
After cleaning of rotor and brushes and reinstalling the servo drive my reverse started working, but not wholly, as it turned out, because sd_08 error started to show up exactly after fixing of the servomotor.

By chance, did you put motor casing on 180 degrees off.
That would make motor run opposite direction

Thank you, I’ll try checking those relays.
BTW, reverse actuator of my sled has already “died”, I had it checked, it turned out that lubricating grease melted due to high temperatures and soiled the servomotor ‘’brushes”, ruining the conductivity.
After cleaning of rotor and brushes and reinstalling the servo drive my reverse started working, but not wholly, as it turned out, because sd_08 error started to show up exactly after fixing of the servomotor.
I'm guessing you need a new actuator. Go to the regular Sidewinder thread and dig thru to SD-08/Reverse problem threads. You describe my experience closely. I pulled the thing apart, found the metal gear, cleaned and regreased it but it didn't work. Took to dealer due to warranty and they replaced it. I keep a spare one at camp with sled.

By chance, did you put motor casing on 180 degrees off.
That would make motor run opposite direction
Looks like motor’s running the right directrion, because reverse itself works as it should mechanically, without any unusual noises.

Back