• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder BTX-LE and Viper BTX-LE Same features.

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
btx.JPG

Curious re the air to air cooler ... looks like its pretty choked off in the video ....... positioning of it might be ok on trails but in powder it looks like its poorly positioned to get air flow ......

Curious re the air to air cooler ... looks like its pretty choked off in the video ....... positioning of it might be ok on trails but in powder it looks like its poorly positioned to get air flow ......

I would say so far so good.. we dont have any real production units to verify.

So why no vertical steering post on side winder btx, is YAMAHA afraid that the glowing header will melt it or what.

I would say so far so good.. we dont have any real production units to verify.
Based on the promo video of the Sidewinder & Viper the air cooler of the sidewinder looks to be completely choked off ... look at the front of the sled ..... the cooler on the phazer was prone to getting blocked off in powder and that well back compared to the sidewinder. Should be a beaut of an engine but the devil is in the details .... air to air cooler will not work if ambient air cannot flow freely across it ....

Based on the promo video of the Sidewinder & Viper the air cooler of the sidewinder looks to be completely choked off ... look at the front of the sled ..... the cooler on the phazer was prone to getting blocked off in powder and that well back compared to the sidewinder. Should be a beaut of an engine but the devil is in the details .... air to air cooler will not work if ambient air cannot flow freely across it ....

I get it. But as I said it only speculation that your posting.

I get it. But as I said it only speculation that your posting.

The Viper turbo models were choking out when going through deep snow.. and look at all the holes and gaps in the plastic on that thing! The placement of the air intake is very questionable for us deep snow guys. I'm sure an extruding air filter will be necessary. I guess we will wait on the aftermarket to figure that one out.

Considering that in powder the air intake vents on the rmk (which are by the steering post) can get blocked off, there's no way that the air cooler on the sidewinder won't. Just as it shows in Yamaha's own promo video (which I do not see as speculation) the snow has the cooler snuffed.... for $20k + Cdn I'ld have expected that somewhere along the way the designer / engineers / prototype / test riders would have noticed esp since the motor is really the main difference between the two models! Should be fine for trail use but for powder riding it will likely need to be repositioned .....

I wouldn't be too worried, The Phazer radiator got plugged because its HOT and the snow instantly turns to sticky slush when it hits it. I don't really see the intercooler even getting warm enough to "slushify" the snow, the turbo should only be raising ambient around 20-25*f at the boost levels this mill is probably pushing. With that said, even with the intercooler plugged it won't effect power output that much since we are only talking about a 20*f temperature difference which is MAYBE a 2% loss of HP.

Btx Le is 57mm powerclaw track and BTX SE is 44mm track. Too bad that BTX coming only trail steering post.. In my opinion mountain steering is so much better in deep snow.

Back