• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder chain tensioner

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I just picked up a 2019 ZR600XRC. While I was looking it over I saw it had an auto chain tensioner.
After doing some research I found that the Thundercat is the only Cat model to use the manual tensioner like the Sidewinder.
Has anyone changed their manual tensioner over to the auto tensioner? I know some reported the pad wore out quickly on some of the older models but I have not heard anything bad about the newer ones.
I seems if the auto tensioner works well it would keep you from having to remove the muffler to do a chain adjustment.
My tuned Sidewinder seemed to stretch the chain VERY quickly, meaning removing the muffler several times a season.
You can buy the whole set up for under $60.....

I had no issues with the auto tensioner with sleds that had it.. BUT I was not running a tuned beast! I have a cat in the garage that has it.. I have the stock muffler on it and so to me its just easier to leave things be on it.. Me personally would not run it on the Sidewinder, but I run a small muffler that allows me access to chain tension.. I also feel the sidewinder is more sensitive to improper chain tension. I would think more would change from auto to manual then what your asking in post.. M2C

I would think more would change from auto to manual then what your asking in post.. M2C
I believe it is a drop in set up.
I had friends with tuned 1100 turbos with the manual adjuster with no problems.
It just seems to be an easier unit to live with if it works properly.
I wouldn't even consider it if you could get to the adjuster easy.
I also feel the sidewinder is more sensitive to improper chain tension
I agree with you here for sure.
On my tuned Sidewinder the chain would need adjusting after @1000 miles. Every 1000 miles. That is on a brand new chain.

Just leave the auto tensioner, I have it on my 2017 ZR 6000RS. It works fine and I never hear of any problems.

Everyone i know whit AC chaincase has switch for manuel tensioner ...

Just leave the auto tensioner, I have it on my 2017 ZR 6000RS. It works fine and I never hear of any problems.
I was thinking about the auto tensioner for the Sidewinder...

Does if function similar to a timing chain tensioner in that it takes up slack and then it locks and can't disengage on its own?

Tensioner on 4 stroke sees much more abuse due to engine braking so that must be something to do with it.

same design they used in the 1100 turbo.

Does if function similar to a timing chain tensioner in that it takes up slack and then it locks and can't disengage on its own?

Tensioner on 4 stroke sees much more abuse due to engine braking so that must be something to do with it.
Its basically spring loaded and as the chain stretches it ratchets tighter.. Its been awhile but I would say it had about 20-30 teeth or ratchet groves. Once it goes to the next tightness it locks yes. When we cracked the cases open and removed the tensioner we would put them back in and ratchet it 3-4 clicks and leave it. This would allow it to self tighten based on chain stretch. Next ride you didn't hammer the hell out of it or get air for an few miles so the mechanism did its thing. I liked it and had no issues.. I do believe it was on my 2015 ZR 7000 cat which was a 4 stroke. So not sure about the 4 stroke not having them?

Like this. This was what originally came on the Cats before Yamaha was involved...

The 9000 Suzuki turbos had this design as well as the two strokes.

099876AA-DD18-400C-BED2-FBCAAE8FCEBC.jpeg

Auto tensioner worked fine for me on 14 1100 with well over 10,000 boosted miles on it.

That's what I am thinking. No more removing the muffler to set chain tension. If that pad holds up I think it would work great. For that matter, put a roller in place of that pad.

Back