• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

sidewinder chaincase lube

kimcoop1324

Extreme
Country
USA
I was wondering if anyone was using amsoil severe gear 75-90 synthetic oil on their sidewinders? if not then what is the best chaincase lube to use? Thanks mike

Everybody with over 1000 miles on their chain case will chime in they've had NO problems so they recommend their "potion"
I use AMSOIL because it says "Chain Case Oil" right in the name, nice & simple, and
IMG_4698.jpg
i trust Amsoil since they were the leaders in Synthetic oil from the beginning.
Although any gear oil or tranny fluid will do, there are some differences between gears & chains. And don't forget there are bearings in the case that get lubed also.
10,000 miles on my Winder
20,000 miles on Apex

X3. IMO, I'm exercising blind faith that Amsoil has done their due research and engineering to come up with a product that lubricates the chain case properly. I also think "thinner" is better than "thicker" in this chain case since we need the lubricant to penetrate the joint between the upper gear and the jackshaft, as well as the chain and bearings, etc.
I know there are many many other successful options guys are using.

Amsoil mine was not so great IMO....

Went to KLOTZ this time on buds sled, hear good feedback on the graphite stuff.

I think its more about quantity(16oz vs 12oz) with the upper bushing wear, what is really needed is a better design!

Dan

X5 amsoil
*375ml Amsoil gear case+ 100ml Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer
image.jpg

My #22 gear have 10 000km now. Still have grey coating on the bushing . Will see in 2 oookm.

X3. IMO, I'm exercising blind faith that Amsoil has done their due research and engineering to come up with a product that lubricates the chain case properly. I also think "thinner" is better than "thicker" in this chain case since we need the lubricant to penetrate the joint between the upper gear and the jackshaft, as well as the chain and bearings, etc.
Amsoil chaincase oil is my plan also after inspection and tac welding idler bolts.
I'm also going to give Amsoil 0-30 signature series a try for engine oil.

The point is, most chain lubes are designed for that specific function.
Regular oils, even though good enough, aren't quite as efficient, at least in theory.
Theory & reality are not always the same so just put in new oil and fill above the sight glass.

I liked the KLOTZ, except it is black so i could never tell how good or bad it was.
Last year my bud put some nice clean clear oil in rebuilt chain case.
After first ride, i noticed his oil was "dirty".
Turns out, he forgot a washer & his gears were misaligned. I would have never caught it if he used the KLOTZ.

One thing i've noticed with the Red Arctic Cat oil is, you can see it in the sight glass window the best.
Plus if it leaks, you'll know exactly what oil is leaking in the snow.

Red Line Full Synthetic lightweight shockproof Gear oil.

I agree with the "thinner" statement which leads to an anomaly. As per Amsoil's own statement regarding thier Chaincase lube "Automotive gear lube is designed to lubricate hypoid gears and is too thick for proper chain and gear lubrication in powersports applications, impairing circulation and leading to wear and decreased energy efficiency." If you check the data sheets, you will find the pour point of their chaincase lube to be -46 c/ -51F whereas their own Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90 has a pour point of -51C/-60F. Does that not indicate that their own gear lube (with a 500,000 mile service interval to boot) is thinner and flows better to provide more lubricity at lower temps and longer life as well? How can they say the downfall of gear lubes is their being too thick when their own product is thinner? Have questioned this for years. I use Canadian Tire's 75W90 Full Synthetic gear lube and have since 2007 and no problems - touch wood.

Amsoil mine was not so great IMO....

Went to KLOTZ this time on buds sled, hear good feedback on the graphite stuff.

I think its more about quantity(16oz vs 12oz) with the upper bushing wear, what is really needed is a better design!

Dan
Over the years, I've used both Klotz and Amsoil. Either one seems to work on my sleds.

Back