• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Clutch Rattle

Bigblue1

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder RTX-LE
Apex SE
Started working on sled, putting mods in etc. is it me or do these cluttches rattle something fierce? Sounds like some shaking a bucket of bolts. Annoying at idle. My Apex is just so smooth. ??

Same rattle I had on my 08 Nytro. Nothing to worry about though I put 7 thousand miles on that Nytro and all I ever did was blow out the dust with compressed air. It sounded the same with 7 thousand miles as it did when new.

Both my Yamaha 4 strokes (Phazer and Viper) do it, none of my triple 2 strokes did. Has to do with few but stronger power strokes causing the weights to slide back an forth slightly on the pins. There are "quiet kits" out there but after a few hundred miles they start clacking again.

Started working on sled, putting mods in etc. is it me or do these cluttches rattle something fierce? Sounds like some shaking a bucket of bolts. Annoying at idle. My Apex is just so smooth. ??

You know what is really strange with the clutch rattle for me?

It was much louder this past winter. During this off season during my bi-monthly start ups in my trailer, it seems so much quieter!!

The rattle is always louder in the cold weather than warm weather.

Get used to the rattle of a triple four-stroke, the 1200 Doos rattle too with a TRA.

I've bought a PB80 drive clutch to try on the winder and I'm guessing it will get rid of the rattle just as it did on the 1200 Doo. Have not run it yet however obviously with no snow.

One major part of the rattle isnt the clutch itself...it is the output shaft to crank stub splines...whoever figures a fix for this will be rich lol

So by now you know that it is not just you.
End of last season ride, 50-60F, lots of sticky snow off trail, my sled had been serviced by my dealer and he had repaired a secondary clutch and fuel pressure problem, which had seemed to find me some more ponies, or it may have just been the new belt and the fact that the odometer was neering 1300 miles and my motor was loosening up.

But before putting the sleds away in the trailer, my bud and I had to run up and down a small field with a gravel pit in it, so our helmets were off and the snow was deep and sticky. I thought that clutch was going to come apart whereas it was so dam loud, but performance wise it was cranking right at that sweet spot, 8750-8800.

So the morale to that story is, keep your helmet on, it helps with sound deadening. LOL

In other words turn up the radio.:yam:

Last edited:
LOL...every sled I've ever had...when you drive it with no helmet on for a quick spin...you can hear everything moving, clanging, rattling etc etc...snowmobiles are noisy contraptions for sure.

Yeah
LOL...every sled I've ever had...when you drive it with no helmet on for a quick spin...you can hear everything moving, clanging, rattling etc etc...snowmobiles are noisy contraptions for sure.
yes for sure, that is usually the way I diagnosed the problems for my wife or daughters sled at the end of a day of riding.
Always something but usually minor with their stock sleds, like ice build up etc. But mine whoa.....

Back