• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SideWinder Engine/Turbo Development

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
Here's a link to a new Q&A with a Yamaha engineer from the SnowGoer site that talks about the development of the new 998 engine and turbo:

http://snowgoer.com/latest-news/qa-yamaha-engineer-explains-technology-of-new-998-turbo/23834/

There's some interesting tidbits, especially AC's role.

complete-engine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Q&A: Yamaha Engineer Explains Technology Of New 998 Turbo
By Andy SwansonManaging EditorAugust 24, 2016
To learn more about how the new, turbo-boosted Yamaha engine was developed for the company’s 2017 Sidewinder models (and Arctic Cat 9000 Series machines, such as the Thundercat), Snow Goer talked with Yamaha Snowmobile Product Development Division Manager Jim Vizanko. He shared information about why the mega-powered engine was created, how it was developed and what unique technologies it brings to the snowmobile industry. The complete interview is below, and the full story about the engine is in the October 2016 issue of Snow Goer magazine that’s on newsstands now.... Click here to Read more

You're right. A 160 incher will ease the pain a little. It's Mr. Sleds fault. I feel like a recovering alcoholic in a bar...and Mr. Sled keeps buying me shots...I read the article 3 times...

You're right. A 160 incher will ease the pain a little. It's Mr. Sleds fault. I feel like a recovering alcoholic in a bar...and Mr. Sled keeps buying me shots...I read the article 3 times...
I got my 163 incher last fall so I have a feeling sitting in a tree next month is going to be like watching paint dry waiting for something bigger to walk by and thinking about when I will get that phone call to come and pick up my new ride

Very interesting read. I like learning how things come to be and this was a good read. Need more articles like this.

Back