• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder gearing for trail.

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Running a Sidwinder RTX with a tune. Trail ride only. Looking to change gears to get a bigger top gear to take some of the turn out of the chain. Does anyone have a gear/chain chart for these chain cases?

You can put a 22 top gear with the stock chain.
Yes,it may take two to help hold both gears and chain,as you have to fit them on togeather,takes a little bit first time,but they will fit on.

Running a Sidwinder RTX with a tune. Trail ride only. Looking to change gears to get a bigger top gear to take some of the turn out of the chain. Does anyone have a gear/chain chart for these chain cases?
I'm running 24/48 at the moment. It's good for 120ish GPS. I also like that the chain won't rub the post with this combo.

Running 132 GPS @ w 21/38 @ 8800 RPM. 280 HP tune at 1/2 mile not best surface.

24/41....on my Turbo Viper, still pretty trailable, take no prisoners!

I am not concerned with top speed. I dont spend any time up there. I want to to pull like a freight train to over 100 mph.
I also think that taking some turn out of the chain might help some with top gear bushing wear.

You will like 24/48 if you can put it down! :)
I had this gearing in my turbo viper

I am not concerned with top speed. I dont spend any time up there. I want to to pull like a freight train to over 100 mph.
I also think that taking some turn out of the chain might help some with top gear bushing wear.

I did nothing but gain on all when I went with 22T verses the 21T. I first tried the 22 after my first tune but I did run the tune with the 21T first. Just smoother and faster with my set up back then and now, with the Max Spool 16/3 bar/BOV.

Maybe a different story if I was running on ice and hooking up hard out of the hole and running shorter distances.

I don't think it will help with top bushing wear. My RTX has over 11000 kms on the stock 21 top gear. All with the hurricane 270r

I don't think it will help with top bushing wear. My RTX has over 11000 kms on the stock 21 top gear. All with the hurricane 270r
Sure would like to see it. Is the grey coating on it yet? If not maybe we are all being premature in changing them?

Sure would like to see it. Is the grey coating on it yet? If not maybe we are all being premature in changing them?

Ill take a pic and post it next week when I tear the sled down for pre season maintenance. It was good last time I was in there @9000kms or so. Im planning on getting a new top gear and possibly chain as well this year. I do about 5000kms a season and don't want a failure.

Back