• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder helix

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Been thinking about trying some different helix's this year in my new S/W. At $125 each they are not cheap to just buy and try.
Anyone got any helix's they may not be using and looking to sell? Anyone try anything they really like?
I know every clutch set up may be different but just looking for ideas.
I have been thinking about trying the 37-35, 41-37, 41-35 to combo with the Dalton B-O spring...

Been thinking about trying some different helix's this year in my new S/W. At $125 each they are not cheap to just buy and try.
Anyone got any helix's they may not be using and looking to sell? Anyone try anything they really like?
I know every clutch set up may be different but just looking for ideas.
I have been thinking about trying the 37-35, 41-37, 41-35 to combo with the Dalton B-O spring...
I give a 39-35 and a 33-37

we have a sugary snow where i ride, and I switched to the thunder products helix and weights (previously Dalton weights+springs/stock helix) last year on my xtx 146, extremely smooth, extremely easy to ride slowly and has that old apex nostalgia feeling to it in the mid/upper rpm (always felt the apex was launchy, which this one is not)

I give a 39-35 and a 33-37
Do you have those angles or want to try those angles?
Never really tried those reverse cut helix's. I know people used them in the early days of turbo charged sleds to combat the turbo lag. Seems like it would slow the upshift. Are they really needed with today's turbo's

As talked about before on here, reverse helixs are a fix for stk turbo lag, if you have a super spool type tune then they are not needed, i love my 39/35 helix from ulmer racing with the purple epi spring, excellant pull with stock type backshift.

Yeah, I will be going back to the SS stock muffler tunes this year.
That 39-35 is another possibility also. I have been running the stock 35 on the PM tunes with the Dalton B/O spring wrapped at 80.
I do have a straight 37, straight 40 and straight 45 for the sidewinder.
These helix's are too much money to just buy a bunch to try like the old days.....

Never really tried those reverse cut helix's. I know people used them in the early days of turbo charged sleds to combat the turbo lag. Seems like it would slow the upshift. Are they really needed with today's turbo's
IMO, no. The 998 has so little/no lag that I think all the reverse angle helixes do is keep sled from upshifting fast enough to keep off rev limiter. If you feel like yours has too much lag, try increasing engagement some. That will help. IMO for those with anti-lag, reverse angle helix is not what you need from the dig. Need sled to upshift fast so running a helix that hinders upshift is not what you want. I've tested (Dragy) with both types of helixes and the reverse angle is slower to 330 or 660 or 1250. And, often engine would bang off rev limiter on reverse angle. IMO, the only situation that might change this is drag racing on glare ice with lots of long carbide ice picks where traction might be high enough to warrant reverse angle. JM2C

I have 39/33 43/38 45/38 43/35 and I believe two more they are at my shop won’t be there till next week I’ll let you know

I have those. Running 32/36 I on the sled. It actually accelerates faster but on trail doesn’t have same feeling as the 39/35. On trail I think that’s best choice, on lake reverse is better

IMO, no. The 998 has so little/no lag that I think all the reverse angle helixes do is keep sled from upshifting fast enough to keep off rev limiter. If you feel like yours has too much lag, try increasing engagement some. That will help. IMO for those with anti-lag, reverse angle helix is not what you need from the dig. Need sled to upshift fast so running a helix that hinders upshift is not what you want. I've tested (Dragy) with both types of helixes and the reverse angle is slower to 330 or 660 or 1250. And, often engine would bang off rev limiter on reverse angle. IMO, the only situation that might change this is drag racing on glare ice with lots of long carbide ice picks where traction might be high enough to warrant reverse angle. JM2C
I have similar feeling as you. May not be identical but basics are there

As talked about before on here, reverse helixs are a fix for stk turbo lag, if you have a super spool type tune then they are not needed, i love my 39/35 helix from ulmer racing with the purple epi spring, excellant pull with stock type backshift.
I'm wanting to try a different helix this year for max acceleration on the trail and still good backshift.
I'm 160 lbs before suiting up.
I use the ultimax.
I'd like to stay with the 39 final angle.
Maybe 41-39?
Would 43-39 be too much?
I'll calibrate weights to get proper rpm.
Thoughts anyone.

I like straight cut helix on this secondary. I think its personal preference and feel the 3 roller secondary is very forgiving to helix angles. Running a straight 38 from BDX now ( is this the best ? no idea but I like it).. Lots of combos work on these IMO.. The biggest issue for most is dropping some weight in the primary if your going to increase helix angle. Get this motor to spin 9000 bottom to top and get the secondary spring tension correct.. Testing testing testing.. Belt/clutch temps will tell you the answer. Personal preference???trails/lakes/race your buddies on the lake..how and what trails you ride will cause a lot of clutching combos for these sleds.. That's what's great about these actually, they just love to run. And if your willing to test different combos they will work.

Back