• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder motor fixed...Sled blacklisted...your opinions needed

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Many of you followed my saga with failing SW which was mainly overheating and going into limp mode.

Quick recap:
-Bought a crate 17 BTX SE in March of 2018 paid $12K IIRC
Freak string of blizzards in Iowa in April every weekend 1' of snow and put 189 miles on it banging ditches and fields breaking it in as recommended, no issues.

-Summer comes it goes to Ulmer for 280hp tune, EVO bullet exhaust flash, 4 wheel kit, flares, and dyno. Made great power closer to 295hp

-Winter 18/19 comes excited for first ride put 100 miles on locally in crap snow doing maybe 10-20 miles a day no issues.

-Changed to Sandale 2.5" stock muffler mod EVO was too loud
Drove 6 hrs and put on 100 miles then OVERHEAT and it wouldn't stop. All available trailside tips, tricks wouldn't fix. Drag it back home disappointed, a day early, ruining my trip and wasting the other riders in my group putzing with it for the better part of 2 days.

-Take to dealer March -July, Head is cracked from a defective casting, they ordered an entire new motor from Yamaha but had to reassemble on site, their first one. Yamaha wont sell long blocks. Asked if we upgrade to ARP head studs they agreed and installed.

-No snow locally winter Jan 2020 drove 6 hrs ready to ride! Broke after 40 miles overheat. 1 day of futzing around with bleeding, etc no change. Drag back sled 2 days early disappointed as it may have been my last chance to ride with my 70 yr old Dad.

-Back to dealer Jan-July - Assessed head gasket failed and that ARP head studs were the cause, Yamaha demanded go back to stock. New motor parts that are oil based that contacted coolant all replaced as a precaution. I think they didn't TQ them correctly and used the stock TTY process vs the one specific for head studs that I reviewed with the dealer ad nausium.

-Sled is back with 588 miles on with "new" stock motor now.

---End recap---

That brings me to today, clearly this was string a events not all related to yamaha, not all related to me, or anyone else. I don't want to debate. Yamaha has been good with fixing the machine, so its water under the bridge.

Here is my question for the masses.... I went to trade the sled in, the only dealer that would take it offered me $4K for this sled PLUS $10,980 to get a 21 SW, to which I almost shat myself... I do have a 4 yr YES warranty on it but only a couple grand left until I get to the purchase price. Not sure if Yamaha would be sticklers on enforcing the "YES only good until repairs meet original purchase price" fine print or not. No other dealer would even take it after running the VIN. I can't in good conscience sell the sled privately until it can demonstrate some reliability miles after the new motor.

So I am stuck with it....

Would you either?
A. Flash back to stock and barely ride it try to get to 1000 miles then try to sell private party as "reliable"?
B. Keep the existing flash and ride it like I stole it again and see if 3rd time is a charm?
C. SEND IT! Stop yamaha motor repairs, take motor apart, put in head studs correctly, mod the living wee out of it myself and shoot for 300+ hp like I wanted to in the beginning!

Discuss! :beer:

Last edited:

Take the $10,000 from the dealer.

I have been following your progress on this sled and issues...what a journey.
Not sure what you meant on trade in deal?
If the trade in deal is good I would let it go otherwise I would run it stock for this season, enjoy the sled, and if all is good flash it again and really enjoy!

I would not accept less then 4 k on trade, I would probably fix / replace motor in sled on my own and ride it .

Take the $10,000 from the dealer.

Fu€ that its fine.

SEND IT!
Put those head studs in and let her rip! Do the studs yourself, if you want it done right do it yourself. Go over the sled with a fine tooth comb. Check everything from hose clamps, intake boots, chassis bolts Ect. The sled will be fine, it’s brand new, human error has caused you all your pain.

Total BS they have Blacklisted the sled BTW

I would keep it flashed and ride it then. I think that tune is problem. Mine just blow up from detonation in middle cylinder

I would keep it flashed and ride it then. I think that tune is problem. Mine just blow up from detonation in middle cylinder

3 SW with similar tunes all blew up. Mine didn't actually 'blow' like no mechanical parts broke except the defective head.

I'm leaning towards stock flash and see if it holds together. I suppose I need to worry about driveshaft bearings and other crap now letting loose, I have been focused on the motor haven't even looked at my own list I wrote in the stickies.

This story is always a reminder of what COULD happen when modding sleds. You took the chance to play with the motor and LOST. Even though 95-99% of the time, most would never have issues, with these flashes. IMO, I am surprised Yamaha even warrantied it!! I am not blaming you, because I have modded many sleds. Most have worked out, some have not. If it was me, I would leave it stock and ride it for the year, trying to put alot of miles on it (1500+) to ensure there is nothing wrong with it. Sell next season.. The biggest question, I would like to know is what does Ulmer think happened?

If its the tunes, then their is one supplier, that has not done enough testing. It sounds like the head lifted, from an over boost, (cause by boost leak) but I am no expert!!!

One think is for sure, is that tune would be gone!!

Last edited:
I think that you may have a defective motor/ parts from start and whoever worked on sled didn’t do any good in diagnosing or fixing it properly. Change a tune from different vendors if you’re thinking that’s problem.

Like he said you were lucky that Yamaha covered warranty work on tuned sled. They refused to do so on my sled.

Flash back to stock, run it this winter and sell it next year to a particular with ramaining waranty. It will be prouve the reliability of the new engine and you will save money this winter for your next trade

Total BS they have Blacklisted the sled BTW
I totally agree with this!!!!! If it was "fixed" by an authorized Yamaha dealer than that dealer network should have no problem with taking it in trade. If they don't want it because of the tune than that's another story. Did you offer the sled in trade totally stock? would it be any different?
I would run it stock for a bit to make sure it is right then mod it.

Man, I have never heard of a vehicle being "blackballed" after warranty work. That is what the warranty is for.....B.S!!!!!!!

Back