• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder motor in pro rmk

mpaine

Veteran
I've been looking around trying to find if anyone has swapped a sidewinder motor into a axys chassis pro rmk. Like people were doing years ago with the nypro.

It's been in the back of my mind for a couple years now and I'm starting to think it's going to become a project sooner than later.

I would think it will fit. I'm having a hard time finding any really specs on the sidewinder motors dimensions or weight. I know I can do the fab work and get it in just a little reassurance on dimensions would be nice before I start buying parts.

Also I'm thinking I would try and use an apex chaincase with reverse since it's one of the only bolt on chaincase I've seen.

Looking forward to some input!

I've been looking around trying to find if anyone has swapped a sidewinder motor into a axys chassis pro rmk. Like people were doing years ago with the nypro.

It's been in the back of my mind for a couple years now and I'm starting to think it's going to become a project sooner than later.

I would think it will fit. I'm having a hard time finding any really specs on the sidewinder motors dimensions or weight. I know I can do the fab work and get it in just a little reassurance on dimensions would be nice before I start buying parts.

Also I'm thinking I would try and use an apex chaincase with reverse since it's one of the only bolt on chaincase I've seen.

Looking forward to some input!
What would be the advantage to this huge amount of work?
You'd be better off finding a 2017 Winder mountain and buying the Alpha skid which is the best part of Cat's mountain sleds.

They are just still heavy #*$&@ sleds. Right now I have a supercharger nytro with 163 m8 skid, front end kit plus all the little upgrades. It's a blast and I love the reliability but its heavy. Still takes two hands to lift the back off the ground. Pro rmk can be lifted with one hand easily.

There Is close to 100lb deference between the winder and pro. So if I can get winder power and reliability in a pro I see no reason not to.

Plus it would be cool to do!

They are just still heavy #*$&@ sleds. Right now I have a supercharger nytro with 163 m8 skid, front end kit plus all the little upgrades. It's a blast and I love the reliability but its heavy. Still takes two hands to lift the back off the ground. Pro rmk can be lifted with one hand easily.

There Is close to 100lb deference between the winder and pro. So if I can get winder power and reliability in a pro I see no reason not to.

Plus it would be cool to do!
The weight is the engine.

I haven't seen a Sidewinder engine in an RMK, but there is a guy that put an RX1 engine in one, so it should be doable.

I haven't seen a Sidewinder engine in an RMK, but there is a guy that put an RX1 engine in one, so it should be doable.

I've seen the rx1, nytro and apex motors in the older rmk's. But in the new axys chassis I havnt seen any swaps yet

The weight is the engine.
The nytro motor only weighs 10 lbs more than the older pro800 motor. The new 850 motor is 8 lbs heavier than the 800. So depending on how much the winder motor weighs it might not be much over the 850

I would think by the time you were done the RMK would gain a lot of weight and be close to where you are now.

I would think by the time you were done the RMK would gain a lot of weight and be close to where you are now.
That's why I'm trying to find engine weight of the sidewinder first. So I can debate if it's worth it

There is a 128lb difference between the sidewinder and the pro both 163..

I dont see why I wouldn't be able to do the swap with some lightweight parts and still be close to the stock weight on the pro.

That can't be right. The 800 twin polaris has to be more than 10 lbs lighter than that four stroke triple.

That can't be right. The 800 twin polaris has to be more than 10 lbs lighter than that four stroke triple.
I cant find it right now. But I remember seeing them both on a scale a few years back when I was thinking about making a nypro. It was such a small difference that you could cut the weight somewhere else and end up with the same stock weight pretty easily

Back