• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder moutain tuning and clutching.

Tuesdayx

Veteran
Picked up a 2017 sw this summer and I am sure in the end I will be flashing the ecu after a few rides. I was interested to get a thread started on what mountain riders are like for tunes and what they are doing on the clutching side. I have put a pile miles on my nytro with good old mcx and it ran day in and day out. Just appears to be so many choices. Redline is making some nice pipes for the sw so will throw that on first.

I rode a friends evo stage 4-with pipe sled last year but he was struggling getting the clutching dialed in. The power was better than stock but it didnt feel like 16psi. He as not getting full rpms out of it because the primary weight he put in were to heavy. Another rider said he ran the mcx kit and put in the steepest helix they made and felt the clutching was close.

Also thinking about throwing a coupler block in the back for the occasional steeper climb. Anyone have reports of their experience and what measurement they put block?

Stoked to ride a new sled. Look forward to a sled with handwarmers that work , crisp throttle response, better handling, and it doesnt have to be a 35k build!

Picked up a 2017 sw this summer and I am sure in the end I will be flashing the ecu after a few rides. I was interested to get a thread started on what mountain riders are like for tunes and what they are doing on the clutching side. I have put a pile miles on my nytro with good old mcx and it ran day in and day out. Just appears to be so many choices. Redline is making some nice pipes for the sw so will throw that on first.

I rode a friends evo stage 4-with pipe sled last year but he was struggling getting the clutching dialed in. The power was better than stock but it didnt feel like 16psi. He as not getting full rpms out of it because the primary weight he put in were to heavy. Another rider said he ran the mcx kit and put in the steepest helix they made and felt the clutching was close.

Also thinking about throwing a coupler block in the back for the occasional steeper climb. Anyone have reports of their experience and what measurement they put block?

Stoked to ride a new sled. Look forward to a sled with handwarmers that work , crisp throttle response, better handling, and it doesnt have to be a 35k build!
Evo tunes dont compensate for elevation and it’s only 14.8psi not 16 a stock sled will run around 13psi at high elevation because it compensates so that’s why it didn’t feel like much over stock. Turbo dynamics is working on getting reliable compensating high elevation tunes out but unfortunately it won’t be till testing can be done this winter a map sensor change will be required but that should be it for hardware. This is going to be a fun year once these tuners get everything figured out!

Thunderproducts clutching works pretty well also it can be adjusted from stock to 280hp pretty easy.

Evo tunes dont compensate for elevation and it’s only 14.8psi not 16 a stock sled will run around 13psi at high elevation because it compensates so that’s why it didn’t feel like much over stock. Turbo dynamics is working on getting reliable compensating high elevation tunes out but unfortunately it won’t be till testing can be done this winter a map sensor change will be required but that should be it for hardware. This is going to be a fun year once these tuners get everything figured out!

So are you saying the evo tune will run 14.8lbs at all elevations then? Do we have confirmed boost levels of a stock sw at different levels what boost levels its running? So basically you are saying at elevation a stage 4 evo is only running about 1.8lbs more boost at elevation, just curious.
Thanks for the input!

stock sw will run at 11 to 12 psi at flat land and approx 13 to 14 at elevation 8000 to 9000 feet as it altitude compensates

Apparently stock or with pipe sled runs 9.5 to 10lbs. I asume this must be lower elevation. Wonder what it runs up to stock wise.

At higher altitude, the turbo will have to work harder. The compressor of the turbo will have to pump more the higher up you go if the power shall be the same. So if you want more power than 250 hp at sea level, or if you want to keep 250 hp or more at high altitude, the stock turbo on the Sidewinder becomes to small.

The stock turbo is maxed out at about 220 HP at this elevation 2000m or around 6500ft.

So tune looks like 250hp at low elevations and 220hp up top. Hmm so a stock sled is making around 200 hp down low and up top because it increases boost as you go up. I was hoping it was compensating as you go up as well, so you would have 250 up top.........interesting. Ouch 6k touch to get to bigger numbers.

At higher altitude, the turbo will have to work harder. The compressor of the turbo will have to pump more the higher up you go if the power shall be the same. So if you want more power than 250 hp at sea level, or if you want to keep 250 hp or more at high altitude, the stock turbo on the Sidewinder becomes to small.

The stock turbo is maxed out at about 220 HP at this elevation 2000m or around 6500ft.

So tune looks like 250hp at low elevations and 220hp up top. Hmm so a stock sled is making around 200 hp down low and up top because it increases boost as you go up. I was hoping it was compensating as you go up as well, so you would have 250 up top.........interesting. Ouch 6k touch to get to bigger numbers.
That article is BS it says the stock turbo is maxed out at 220hp at 2000meters there shouldn’t be a problem running 250hp at elevation which would be roughly 17-18psi the only issue is the map sensor is to small for that.

What elevation and what were you running for weights, springs, helix?
Ran stock weights stock tune up to 10k feet and at low elevation ran TP heavy hitters stock tune to 280hp now on TD max pump and same weights 33/35 helix, I didn’t get a chance to try the TP heavy hitters at elevation but they have worked well in the past infinite adjustability in any shift range

Last edited:
Ran stock weights stock tune up to 10k feet and at low elevation ran TP heavy hitters stock tune to 280hp now on TD max pump and same weights 33/35 helix
Curious how they claiming over 250hp if the stock turbo will only spin up to 14.8lb and low elevation?

Anyone have dyno sheets showing these claims?

Sled will run over 14.8 but ecu codes have to be unlocked I am currently running 17-18psi

Very interesting.........how is turbo handling the higher boost pressures?
No problem the stock turbo is capable of 30psi at sealevel with a mechanical wastegate blocker. My sled is running 9.2s at 137-140mph in the 1/4mile on asphalt.

Back