• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder pops out of fwd at 100km

Gman25

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 sidewinder ltx
1999 srx 70
1993 vmax 750
Hey guys i writing this from the bar in hopes i can get a list of parts to order before i rip sled apart.
Was riding at 100 k and no more fwd will go into reverse no issue but once selecting fwd major grinding noise!!
Do i need a new uppere gear and reverse gear? thx in advance!

You really have to open it up and see what is what. You will need a new top gear and reverse gear for sure. Shift pads will likely be gone as well.

Chain? 16 oz. (not 12 oz like manual calls for) of a good synthetic chain lube.

Imo you need a minimum of these parts:

Upper gear
Oil
Orange pads for the shiftfork (likley broken)
New lockingring for outgoing shaft.

Mods can be done to prevent this.

Imo you need a minimum of these parts:

Upper gear
Oil
Orange pads for the shiftfork (likley broken)
New lockingring for outgoing shaft.

Mods can be done to prevent this.
Hey guys i writing this from the bar in hopes i can get a list of parts to order before i rip sled apart.
Was riding at 100 k and no more fwd will go into reverse no issue but once selecting fwd major grinding noise!!
Do i need a new uppere gear and reverse gear? thx in advance!
I had an issue last ride of the year where my SW was not going into forward from reverse and then no forward or reverse .
Cycled it on and off a couple times , and got forward working again .
I was told to ride it but don't try to put it into reverse .Was all good for that last ride , and then took it to the dealer for warranty work on chaincase but they couldn't find a problem , and it worked fine .
Just to be safe they replaced the reverse actuator and top gear under warranty , and no further problems .

It has been five hours, if you are still in the bar call a cab.

Hey fellas thx i am tearing it apart this am
I will put a yamaha order in this morning should have it by wed.
Godspeedswe mentioned some mods to prevent this
What are you guys doing? i will plan on that.
Also on reasembly what method do you guys prefer for reverse actuator install? i used the service manual technique but have read different methods for this.
I was seriously thinking of a reverse delete but this things are way too heavy and i am too old and fat to be slinging sleds around!
Thanks for replies greatly appreciated

I put an aditional shim behind the upper sprocket to eliminate the huge axial play. A standard shim need to be skimmed down about 0.4mm to fit. Gives better engagement and 100% straight chain. Some people also change the bushing to a SKF version.

Also spotweld both bolts on the tentioner since its a common point of faliure.

I put an aditional shim behind the upper sprocket to eliminate the huge axial play. A standard shim need to be skimmed down about 0.4mm to fit. Gives better engagement and 100% straight chain. Some people also change the bushing to a SKF version.

Ok so you now have a stock shim behind upper gear plus the shim that has 0.4 mm removed from it?
How did you remove the 0.4 mm from this shim?

What are dimensions for shim you ended up using? Obviously 1" ID. What are OD and thickness?
Thanks!

AC 2602-339

Says 1.00x1.562x0.062 on the bag.

EDIT: The need for thickness of the shim may vary from sled to sled. We did use a magnetic grindingtable at a machine shop. Fixates the washer with magnetic force. It can be used to skim of to very tight tolerances.

Last edited:
AC 2602-339

Says 1.00x1.562x0.062 on the bag.

EDIT: The need for thickness of the shim may vary from sled to sled. We did use a magnetic grindingtable at a machine shop. Fixates the washer with magnetic force. It can be used to skim of to very tight tolerances.

Ok so you had stock shim plus the one you modified?
How much float or freeplay was on top gear when you finished? Any or was it pretty tolight between c-clips?
Thx again

Ok so you had stock shim plus the one you modified?
How much float or freeplay was on top gear when you finished? Any or was it pretty tolight between c-clips?
Thx again

Correct, 1+1 the inside, 1 on the outside.

Made mine a bit to tight, could not feel any play but the locking ring did turn free and easy. So I guess it was pretty spot on and I did skim 0.3. If i did it again I would like 0.1 in play.

Back