• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder starts in reverse??????

grubf

Pro
Took stock 18 RTX chaincase apart to replace top gear. Which was toast. 3400 miles. Cleaned everything up and put back together. Reverse actuater installed correctly. Hooked up all the connections. Started up and got SD 08 code. Which is reverse abnormality. Tried shifting it in and out of reverse. I could feel it shifting but code stayed on. Now it says it is in reverse but I took the actuater out and it is in forward. Gear rack is all the way to the left. ?????? Bad reverse sensor? I took it out and it looks a little chewed on one side. Also I used parts cleaner to clean up the old oil. Maybe I ruined the sensor??? Now when I start it it says reverse and beeps. It is never supposed to start in reverse. Thoughts?? Thanks.

Took stock 18 RTX chaincase apart to replace top gear. Which was toast. 3400 miles. Cleaned everything up and put back together. Reverse actuater installed correctly. Hooked up all the connections. Started up and got SD 08 code. Which is reverse abnormality. Tried shifting it in and out of reverse. I could feel it shifting but code stayed on. Now it says it is in reverse but I took the actuater out and it is in forward. Gear rack is all the way to the left. ?????? Bad reverse sensor? I took it out and it looks a little chewed on one side. Also I used parts cleaner to clean up the old oil. Maybe I ruined the sensor??? Now when I start it it says reverse and beeps. It is never supposed to start in reverse. Thoughts?? Thanks.
You can’t install the actuator wrong. As long as top gears are engaged, (rack to left) and you install actuator gear with indent at 6 o’clock you are good. Then turn actuator gear clockwise out of indent slightly to get actuator on easier. When start sled should find forward. But sounds like you need to take back apart and check things out.

Can you unplug the reverse actuator and start it just to see if it does anything? When it starts is it actually in reverse or the sled just thinks it is? If you shut off in forward can you hear it actuate when you flip the key on to start it? Makes no sense what your saying so I would start eliminating variables.

It is shifting. You can hear it and you can feel it. It is not indicating correctly and throwing the SD 08 code. Before I put the cover on I made sure everything moved freely between reverse and forward. It is shifting and I could probably run it if I had to but there is no snow anyway. I am going to take it apart again tonight and see if there is some obstruction between the rack and the sensor. I don't think it is possible to put the rack in backwards but I will check. Also there could be some crud at one end or the other of the rack itself that doesn't let it travel all the way which might also trigger the code.

Figured it out. When I was putting a little bit of grease on the reverse extension I got some grease on the eye thing on the rack. The sliding rack was not communicating with the sensor. Cleaned it up and all is well.

Where is the sensor and the rack. Sorry I am not familiar with what parts these are. I am having the same exact problem. I had a SD-08 error I thought my motor was bad. I bought a new aftermarket off Ebay. When I install it and start the machine it starts in forward. I try the button and get a SD-08 error. When I shut it off you can hear the motor put the sled in reverse and when I start it sure enough it is in reverse. I hit the button and I get the SD-08 error, if I hit it again it shifts into forward still with the SD-08 error. Once it does this it shifts from forward to reverse perfectly, but just has the SD-08 error. When I shut it off if shifts back into reverse and when you start it you have to do it all over again.

@race24x

As you are sitting on the sled, its under the right hand side panel, on the back of the chaincase cover.

The reverse motor is the black part under the silver plate you see here.

1706795108359.png

The parts referenced are here
1706795197996.png

Full parts diagram here

Look on youtube for top gear videos and you have to remove the reverse motor assembly to do anything in the chaincase.

I think he was referring to the small button magnet located inside the case, on the reverse rack. I thought that magnet was for reverse beeper activation only. I know I've lost my reverse beeper and by cleaning that small button magnet and the case inside where it would send it's magnetism threw, always fixed that. So that is part of my maintenance now, cleaning that magnet and case!

6CF90314-9E66-492B-BCFE-2DF98126DE6A.jpeg

I think he was referring to the small button magnet located inside the case, on the reverse rack. I thought that magnet was for reverse beeper activation only. I know I've lost my reverse beeper and by cleaning that small button magnet and the case inside where it would send it's magnetism threw, always fixed that. So that is part of my maintenance now, cleaning that magnet and case!

View attachment 175394
Sorry if I was not referring to what was aforementioned as a sensor on a rack, if so please disregard.
Am I correct in thinking this magnet is only for the reverse beeper and not a status signal to reverse actuator?

Your parts diagram are so crisp, clear and detailed! I need to look at this parts diagram link!

I think you are correct as to what Race24x was asking. Just to be clear, this is the magnet on the rack that you are referring to? This is what you clean when the chaincase is open?
Screenshot_20240201-104555-363.png

I think you are correct as to what Race24x was asking. Just to be clear, this is the magnet on the rack that you are referring to? This is what you clean when the chaincase is open?View attachment 175396
Yes your red circle identifies the reverse beeper magnet which moves on that reverse rack when going from forward to reverse and so forth! I would have to look at the electrical diagram to see how this may or may not tie in to forward or reverse status! I do know that when my reverse beeper failed, the pod still showed an R when in reverse! I was just trying to clarify the sensor & rack mentioned, but not sure that’s Race24’s problem!

The sensor is 43 in the diagram, the magnet is the trigger. The magnet is what is going to attract all the junk. All of it is controlled by the ECU so there is not much of a circuit to look at in the wiring diagram. There is a specific 'reverse alarm' wire from the ECU, this could be managed either way, it could be an input to tell the sled what position the actuator is in or it could be an output simply to drive the alarm. Probably the former.

Start the sled and cycle fwd and reverse 3 times for actuator to find its home.
At the time when the machine is shut off the actuator will cycle to the home position.
Hope this helps.

Back