• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder TD power trail stock muffler tune

Mph

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder
Hey everyone got my self a sidewinder this year coming from a apex. Just wonder if anyone has any info on the td power trail stock muffler tune? Is it enough power or should I spend the money and get a after market muffler?

I put this tune on at the end of the year last year with the cai. I have not ridden the sled yet with the tune, so I am excited to hear other people's feedback. I kept the stock muffler because I like a quiet sled.

That tune and the Hurricane 240 tune have a fantastic track record in terms of reliability.

Hey everyone got my self a sidewinder this year coming from a apex. Just wonder if anyone has any info on the td power trail stock muffler tune? Is it enough power or should I spend the money and get a after market
The sm tunes are a great way to increase HP. I ran the TD Max Spool 16 for the past 3 seasons or so! Big difference from stock for sure, and just add a BOV and clutching and hold on!

The Hurricane 240 Tune stock muffler is awesome. I put a few miles on last season. However, I am moving to the Performance Trail Muffler tune for this year as the muffler would help with better out of the whole response and make it much more crisper out of the whole and midrange.

The Hurricane 240 Tune stock muffler is awesome. I put a few miles on last season. However, I am moving to the Performance Trail Muffler tune for this year as the muffler would help with better out of the whole response and make it much more crisper out of the whole and midrange.
Did you notice that the tune made the sled more sluggish (more turbo lag) then stock? I was honestly happy with stock power, but the airbox dripping oil on the belt gave me an excuse to get more power. I would not be happy if I lost response compared to the stock tune.

The 240 tune makes it even more "snappy" than stock, everywhere.
The 240 S/M muffler tune is a very impressive, easy to live with day to day, tune.
Add some primary weight, maybe a primary spring and a secondary spring. Gas and go. Very consistent, hard pulling tune that runs on 89 octane all day.
I ran the trail muffler tunes last year( 240-270-300 )and am thinking I will be going back to the stock muffler tunes with my 2022 LTX this year.

Hey everyone got my self a sidewinder this year coming from a apex. Just wonder if anyone has any info on the td power trail stock muffler tune? Is it enough power or should I spend the money and get a after market muffler?
I like a quiet sled but you are missing out on performance with a tune and stock muffler. Even if you just get the stock muffler mod helps allot.

I have both stock muffler and performance muffler bundles from TD on my 2020. Everyone of them is a huge step up from stock and you will not miss anything about your stock tune. The power muffler tunes are noticably faster spooling and more powerful everywhere in the rpm range and get better mpg in my experience. My 2022 Ltx will be running Hurricane power muffler tunes.

The TD TUNE your asking about is very good. Powertrail is a great tune as I logged 7-8k on that tune with a turbo force muffler. A little loud but not like crazy obnoxious at all. I don’t have any experience with a stock muffler. New 22 sled will be TD again. But this time max spool 17.

Been running Powertrail SM for 2 years now. Great tune with stock like characteristic untill about 6500.Then it pulls much harder than stock. Runs around 15 Psi. Easily walks away from a stock sled. Same fuel mileage as stock and have run on 87 octane in a pinch with no knock light when
trail riding. This year I think I loading up Max Spool 16 with a 3 bar.

Been running Powertrail SM for 2 years now. Great tune with stock like characteristic untill about 6500.Then it pulls much harder than stock. Runs around 15 Psi. Easily walks away from a stock sled. Same fuel mileage as stock and have run on 87 octane in a pinch with no knock light when
trail riding. This year I think I loading up Max Spool 16 with
The sm tunes are a great way to increase HP. I ran the TD Max Spool 16 for the past 3 seasons or so! Big difference from stock for sure, and just add a BOV and clutching and hold on!
And yes, also the 3 bar sensor!
I have tried both of the Max Spool 16 tunes, two bar and three bar. I preferred the 3 bar version.

Bought a Super Quiet 2.5” for this season and will get the free, Max Spool 17 tune upgrade in a month or so!
A claimed 285 hp set up.

The tune(s) adds way more power than the muffler does,(and without the noise) I ride with guys that have max spool 16 with all else stock, and they are very happy.
I also ride with guys that have ecotrail with ZERO other changes and love it.

The 240 tune makes it even more "snappy" than stock, everywhere.
The 240 S/M muffler tune is a very impressive, easy to live with day to day, tune.
Add some primary weight, maybe a primary spring and a secondary spring. Gas and go. Very consistent, hard pulling tune that runs on 89 octane all day.
I ran the trail muffler tunes last year( 240-270-300 )and am thinking I will be going back to the stock muffler tunes with my 2022 LTX this year.
why?

I am assuming you asking why I am going back to the stock muffler tune?
In my experience more boost equals more "responsibility" for lack of a better word. You have to start chasing octane, boost leaks become more of an issue, always keeping 1 eye on the knock lamp, parts wearing out more quickly, intake air temps become more crucial, etc, etc.
I also found it is hard to run "big" power without some noise, more than I am willing to put up with at this stage of my riding life.
I tried running trail muffler tunes and a "quiet" trail muffler. It was quiet, because it didn't make any power. The other "quiet mufflers I have ridden, the ones that actually make power, are just too loud for my taste right now. I am beyond putting ear plugs in to ride.
I believe the stock muffler tunes from Hurricane, especially the 240, is as about set it and forget it as it gets.
Dont get me wrong, the 300 trail muffler tune was an absolute BLAST. It was a unreal how fast that sled would accelerate. There are people here who run those tunes with great success, but it also takes more work.

I still like tuning on my sled, working with the clutching to get all I can out of them, gearing and whatnot. BUT at this stage I want to ride, log miles and not worry about some of the other stuff that comes along with bigger boost tunes.
I am not knocking the bigger tunes, just make sure what you want, what you want out of it and how much $$$$ and TIME you want to put into it.

Last edited:

Back