• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Top Gear

Rick Bianchi

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Sidewinder
Dealer installed a 22 tooth top gear in my sled. I believe its a 13 wide. I believe they have 15 wide gears. When I questioned this I was told they do it all the time and have no issues with it. Any thoughts on this?
The reason for this is they ordered the wrong gear for it and had these in stock.
Thanks

Dealer installed a 22 tooth top gear in my sled. I believe its a 13 wide. I believe they have 15 wide gears. When I questioned this I was told they do it all the time and have no issues with it. Any thoughts on this?
The reason for this is they ordered the wrong gear for it and had these in stock.
Thanks

You know, sounds kinda odd to me. They order the wrong gear and now they want you to take it because no one else will and they will have a return/restock fee. Get them to write you a guarantee for that particular gear they are providing. If they dont, then have them order the proper gear you would like!

You know, sounds kinda odd to me. They order the wrong gear and now they want you to take it because no one else will and they will have a return/restock fee. Get them to write you a guarantee for that particular gear they are providing. If they dont, then have them order the proper gear you would like!
They ordered a 24 and had the 22's in stock. Its been installed.

Narrow top gear=narrow top bushing. That bushing can cause problems when it wears. I would want the wide gear/bushing for sure.

Just an FYI....Most of us are removing the 22 top gear. Belt life with a 22 becomes even shorter. Stock gearing is good for 126mph gps, so if you are not going over those speeds, its a pure waste.

The proper part numbers have been posted many times here. There are two now, one with oil hole and one without.

Borg Warner Hyvo - 15 Wide - 33T External Spline - 2017-2018 9000/sidewinder

22 top gears
1702-395(no oil hole)
1702-491(with oil hole)

Dan

I didn't have belt issues because of the 22 upper gear. I had belt issues because of a certain spring I tried in the secondary. After turfing that spring I beat on my sled on the track with no issues. My point being lots of guys are running taller gearing with no belt issues.

I didn't have belt issues because of the 22 upper gear. I had belt issues because of a certain spring I tried in the secondary. After turfing that spring I beat on my sled on the track with no issues. My point being lots of guys are running taller gearing with no belt issues.
Not corner to corner type riding at least what I hear and from my experience. On wide open trails mine was good too in Qc.

But my point was more about, why bother if you never get chance to run over 126mph. Stock gearing is damn tall compared to cats.

What are you running for secondary spring now? You running stock belts? I always am interested to hear anyone who says they have good belt life, as they are few and far between once in 270hp range.

Dan

Not corner to corner type riding at least what I hear and from my experience. On wide open trails mine was good too in Qc.

But my point was more about, why bother if you never get chance to run over 126mph. Stock gearing is damn tall compared to cats.

What are you running for secondary spring now? You running stock belts? I always am interested to hear anyone who says they have good belt life, as they are few and far between once in 270hp range.

Dan

Ok I agree if your never running those speeds why bother.

I’m running stock belts with daltons secondary spring at 3-3 with a 41-35 dalton helix. Works for me. Proven with my TD gps.

I was taught that clutches are most efficient at 1:1 so I believe if your doing lots of long runs you’ll be easier on belts if your geared up to try and stay 1:1.

Ok I agree if your never running those speeds why bother.

I’m running stock belts with daltons secondary spring at 3-3 with a 41-35 dalton helix. Works for me. Proven with my TD gps.

I was taught that clutches are most efficient at 1:1 so I believe if your doing lots of long runs you’ll be easier on belts if your geared up to try and stay 1:1.
I dropped my B/O to 3/3 on my last trip Qc too....I was running stock helix for that trip. At 3/3 it has zero backshift, that setup wont even work around my area corner to corner. I need 6/1 or higher on last yrs spring, and will need 6/2 on the updated B/O this yr. But that is all about backshift and corner to corner.

I found that after my last trip, I had a ton of slippage around 70mph w/22 gear at 3/3, as shown on my primary, lots of black rubber. So I prefer my stiffer setup. And also I removed 22 gear last week, back to stock gears for me this yr.

With the 41/35 being the most popular for acceleration by most tuners, It works much better with more backpressure corner to corner. I know that helix around tight trails corner to corner will slip like a muther with 3/3 settings w/good traction. My 39/35 is a nice compromise but Im going for less slippage and alittle more rpm around low speed trails.

It does seem the winder does much better on wide open trails for belt life....I got about 700 miles was my best on 8jp belt, but that was running it hard on 270 mostly. I then put on 500 just on Qc ride and on an older belt, no issues up there as it just cruises nicely on those nice super highways...lol

Im going to work with the Ultimax this season, hoping for less belt dust and better grip.....Will see how it goes, I would love for all of us to be able to rule out why so many have belt issues, and get these sleds on track, cause it does not look like YAM will be helping. It may very well be that the HP over 250 or so, is just too much for these belts/clutches to last any amt of time.

I dropped my B/O to 3/3 on my last trip Qc too....I was running stock helix for that trip. At 3/3 it has zero backshift, that setup wont even work around my area corner to corner. I need 6/1 or higher on last yrs spring, and will need 6/2 on the updated B/O this yr. But that is all about backshift and corner to corner.

I found that after my last trip, I had a ton of slippage around 70mph w/22 gear at 3/3, as shown on my primary, lots of black rubber. So I prefer my stiffer setup. And also I removed 22 gear last week, back to stock gears for me this yr.

With the 41/35 being the most popular for acceleration by most tuners, It works much better with more backpressure corner to corner. I know that helix around tight trails corner to corner will slip like a muther with 3/3 settings w/good traction. My 39/35 is a nice compromise but Im going for less slippage and alittle more rpm around low speed trails.

It does seem the winder does much better on wide open trails for belt life....I got about 700 miles was my best on 8jp belt, but that was running it hard on 270 mostly. I then put on 500 just on Qc ride and on an older belt, no issues up there as it just cruises nicely on those nice super highways...lol

Im going to work with the Ultimax this season, hoping for less belt dust and better grip.....Will see how it goes, I would love for all of us to be able to rule out why so many have belt issues, and get these sleds on track, cause it does not look like YAM will be helping. It may very well be that the HP over 250 or so, is just too much for these belts/clutches to last any amt of time.
I put 1700 miles with 270hp and no problems. My concern is the 22 narrower top gear the dealer installed and if it will be a problem. They said it would not be an issue.
Thanks

I put 1700 miles with 270hp and no problems. My concern is the 22 narrower top gear the dealer installed and if it will be a problem. They said it would not be an issue.
Thanks
Good to hear, I will bet you wont see as good of belt life with the 22 though. That is by far best ive heard with 270hp. How many studs and what type trails?

I would not run an incorrect part number myself.

Dan

Last edited:
good to hear, I will bet you wont see as good of belt life with the 22 though. That is by far best ive heard with 270hp. How many studs and what type trails?

I would not run an incorrect part number myself.

Dan
No studs. Riding Houghton area. Dealer claims the top gear will not be an issue.

I just ordered in my new 21T top gear since I change it out every year. The new one is the updated version and has 3 oil holes drilled right through gear and bushing. Will be interesting to see if it helps at all.

Back